Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Having fun with your kids

Yesterday my 6-year-old son came up to me and asked if we could rebuild some of his SW sets that he had gotten for XMas last year. He's not one to build what the set is meant for, so when he asked I dropped what I was doing to help. After I got the anvil off my foot (bad joke) I started to help him build his Y-Wing/DV TIE set. Pretty soon my older daughter, baby, and wife soon wandered into his room to help us out.

After about two hours, we finally managed to put together the Y-Wing. It took so long because he had the parts mixed up with about five other SW sets and some other Legos he has. Remarkably, not one of the pieces were lost! I think tonight we'll finish the TIE and do the A-Wing and maybe the Snowspeeder. We all had fun trying to find the obsure parts amid all the other stuff.

The point is that dropping what you're doing and spending time with your kids, especially when they want your attention, is the best think in the world. My son was so happy to get his parent's attention that he'll probably eat his broccoli tonight. That's a reward in itself.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

Thumbs up

Mandalorian Candidat, I'm glad to hear this kind of response. There are a lot of parents who ignore their kids

I gave my 3 year old niece a bunch of Lego last year for birthday and x-mas (late-age Duplo actually) and my sister (the kid's mom) has never been a person who plays with toys, not even as a kid, but we all started building stuff when she opened it all up and now I've learned that she bought HERSELF a Creator bucket so she can build with the kid while keeping the creations separate. I'm just glad she's got a new thing in common with the little one.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I woulld like to buy my daughter some of those LEGO sets if they weren't so darn expensive...maybe a smaller one like a landspeeder or flash speeder. I think we'd get a kick out of putting them together...together...

Even at the cheap level, I would suggest something more satisfying like the AT-ST (not terribly accurate, but at $10, you get Chewie and a toy that actually has a cool gimmick) or the no-longer-in-production Speederbikes set (a Luke Jedi figure and 2 biker scouts with speederbikes really are nice work and it even comes with a tree made of Lego pieces for smashing into ). With the Landspeeder and the Flash speeder, you get ok SW sets for the price, but they're not really outstanding nor that great for play value, not like the AT-ST or Speederbikes.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Thumbs up

Rollo, KB Toys has many SW LEGO sets on sale, and Wal*Mart often has good deals on bigger older sets. The really cool thing is if you have lots of other LEGO bricks, is to build a SW item purely off the top of your head (figurative, not literal meaning ). I've done that with snowspeeders, speeder bikes, TIEs, Y-Wings, etc. The Falcon's tricky, though.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

If you like Legos, but the price is too high, just keep checking the Lego aisle (and clearance aisle, if there is one) when you do your regular toy hunting. I picked up the big pod race set on clearance at K-Mart for $12. I would never have bought the thing at full price.

After reading these posts, I think I might take them apart and re-build them with my 4 year old.
    Thomas Lane
    tlane@parlant.com

Cool

Even though my threes sons are in their teens, they still enjoy just as much building SW scenes with their Legos. Whenever I have a new diorama in the works, they usually try to see if they can come up with their lego version for it!

Check out the lego repacks topic for good buys on some sets.
    ACPin
    SSG Dioramas Editor
    ACPin Star Wars Webmaster

Originally posted by KiValleyTiger
    There are a lot of parents who ignore their kids
    Most collectors who collect the 3inch figures won't even let their children play with them,that could ruin the kids life causeing him to become a Lego Scalper
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

I don't have kids of my own (yet) but one time my sister's friend's little brother came over and he's like 6 or so, and we dumped my Lego collection out on the floor and built a giant pirate/knight/space/ninja/star wars diorama. It was so much fun! And they I had to pick it all up off the living room floor. That sucked.
    http://www.geocities.com/madscientist2787