Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Spaceballs revisited

I just got the DVD of Spaceballs and watched that bad boy last night. I'd forgotten how incredibly funny this flick is! I have to highly recommend the DVD as well--not a lot of extra stuff, but the bits on the menu are worth the price.

A couple of in jokes I never noticed as a kid:
    the "Schwartz theme" is almost exactly like Leia's theme from ANH
    the bear getting into the escape pod sounds like Chewbacca
    after the "They shot my hair!" bit, the Winnebago makes a brief R2-D2 beep when it starts up
    Lone Starr is dressed like Indiana Jones in his first scene, and claims to be from the "Ford Galaxy"

I think it would be awesome if Brooks came back from limbo and, given the incredible amount of new material since 1986 (the prequels, ST:TNG, Stargate, Baylon 5, X-Files, Matrix, RoboCop, Terminator 2, etc, etc, etc), actually made Spaceballs 2: The Search for More Money. It could even star the annoying brat from Jerry Maguire as a young Darth Helmet. Or more likely not. Brooks was apparently not content with such masterpieces as Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, The Producers, and Spaceballs; I bet he's much happier with the bland Dracula: Dead and Loving It as his legacy.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

All I have to say is "Yogurt! I hate yogurt!"
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

I think that Space Balls was a very funny movie and I would reconmend it to anyone,Star Wars fan or not.
    "I have a bad feeling about this".

"Just when I remembered what it was,I forgot where I put it."

Thumbs up

Spaceballs was a hilarious movie. I remember when it first came out. I always watched action figures for them. It would be great if someone could pick up the line. That would rock.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

The "Ford Galaxy" is a car, I think that's what this is a reference to.

Dracula:DALI and Robin Hood: Men In Tights are pretty crappy films of Brooks', so is Life Stinks, and some of that "eh" element exists in Spaceballs IMO where they use watered-down gags in place of shiny ones. I think this all started in "History of the World, Part One", where they used this a little, then more in Spaceballs, then it snowballed. I'm not saying I don't like Spaceballs, just that I don't think it's in the same league as Blazing Saddles.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

PIZZA IS GOING TO SEND OUT FOR YOU!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Edited because my Colonel Sanders/Mega-Maid quote was deemed inappropriate by myself after posting
    Last edited by Mike Troxell; 09-09-2001 at 04:08 PM.

"Careful you idiot I said across her nose, not UP it!"

"Suck, suck, suck..."

Spaceballs has to be the most quoteable movie ever!

The DVD is great, with lines like "nobody gives me the cheeseburger" how could you lose?
    I love Spaceballs. I love Robin Hood: Men in Tights, And I thought Dead and Loving it was hillarious too!

But once again...thats just me.
    "Two in the box, ready to go, we be fast, and they be slow!"
    Check out my art at The Terrace Room!

I need to break out my DVD again, it's been too long! Even as a kid I laughed at the merchandising riffs, now it's even funnier.

FYI, Best Buy has these for $9.99 on DVD, definitately worth it.

I think there are plans next year for a special edition of Spaceballs, as they are starting to revisit Mel Brook's movies before he passes on. This year they are doing an S.E. of Blazing Saddles and Robin Hood: Men in Tights. And I think The Producers is the other one that will get attention. Hopefully they revisit them all, but I have to admit that I am glad they are doing Blazing Saddles this year. It's a guilty pleasure of mine.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Re: Spaceballs revisited

Quote Originally Posted by JarJarBinks
    I think there are plans next year for a special edition of Spaceballs, as they are starting to revisit Mel Brook's movies before he passes on. This year they are doing an S.E. of Blazing Saddles and Robin Hood: Men in Tights. And I think The Producers is the other one that will get attention. Hopefully they revisit them all, but I have to admit that I am glad they are doing Blazing Saddles this year. It's a guilty pleasure of mine.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Well, it seems my earlier vision has finally come to pass. We got Blazing Saddles in 2004, and now we're finally getting a 2-Disc SE of Spaceballs. Hopefully Robin Hood: Men in Tights will follow soon after. I was going to start a new thread, but this one seemed to have the right flavor. Considering it's entitled Spaceballs Revisited. Hopefully they compinsate for TV overscan so the 'Princess nose gag' isn't cut off anymore.
    Title: Spaceballs
    Starring: Mel Brooks
    Released: 3rd May 2005
    SRP: $29.98

Further Details:
    MGM has announced a two-disc collector's edition of Spaceballs which stars the likes of Mel Brooks, John Candy, Rick Moranis, Bill Pullman and Daphne Zuniga. The film will be available to own in shops from the 3rd May this year, and should retail at around $29.98 in total. The film itself will be presented in anamorphic widescreen along with both English DTS 5.1 and Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround tracks. Extras will include a commentary by Mel Brooks, Spaceballs: The Documentary, a John Candy: Comic Spirit feature, a Storyboard to Film comparison, In Conversation: Mel Brooks and Thomas Meehan, some Film Flubs, spacequotes, Spaceballs: The Behind-the-Movie Photos, Spaceballs: The Costume Gallery and Spaceballs: The Art Gallery. Completing this new package will be an Exhibitor Trailer With Mel Brooks Introduction and the films original theatrical trailer. We've attached the official package artwork below:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spaceballs SE.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	10048  
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.