I just got the DVD of Spaceballs and watched that bad boy last night. I'd forgotten how incredibly funny this flick is! I have to highly recommend the DVD as well--not a lot of extra stuff, but the bits on the menu are worth the price.

A couple of in jokes I never noticed as a kid:
the "Schwartz theme" is almost exactly like Leia's theme from ANH
the bear getting into the escape pod sounds like Chewbacca
after the "They shot my hair!" bit, the Winnebago makes a brief R2-D2 beep when it starts up
Lone Starr is dressed like Indiana Jones in his first scene, and claims to be from the "Ford Galaxy"

I think it would be awesome if Brooks came back from limbo and, given the incredible amount of new material since 1986 (the prequels, ST:TNG, Stargate, Baylon 5, X-Files, Matrix, RoboCop, Terminator 2, etc, etc, etc), actually made Spaceballs 2: The Search for More Money. It could even star the annoying brat from Jerry Maguire as a young Darth Helmet. Or more likely not. Brooks was apparently not content with such masterpieces as Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, The Producers, and Spaceballs; I bet he's much happier with the bland Dracula: Dead and Loving It as his legacy.