Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile I wanna open them, but should I?

This is like an age old dilemma when it comes to collecting figures, the question of whether or not I should open them. In the past with the Phantom Menace line i decided to open them all up and set them on a shelf in my room but now I'm wondering what to do with my AOTC figures. I don't have the funds to get one to open and one to keep in the case, so that not really an option.

Let me get your views and opinions and your preferences. Are you an opener or a person who keeps em nice and pretty in their packaging. And what do ya think I should do?

Personally I'm thinkin about just ripping them all open and having some fun with em, but maybe then I'm ruining an investment in good carded action figures. HURM!!! HELP!
    You never know when an old calendar might come in handy! Sure, it's not 1985 right now, but who knows what tomorrow will bring?
    ~Homer Simpson

Rip 'em open! I can't speak for everyone, but I never leave anything in their packaging. I need to be able to play with them, set them up, whatnot. They're too cool to leave in their packaging, IMO.

If you like them just hanging on a wall, that's cool too. But don't keep them carded just because you think they might be worth something later on. Collect to have fun, not to invest.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

If your thinking of them as an investment, your in the wrong mindset. None of the figures will ever really be valuable, no matter what. There are so many people keeping a set carded or scalpers hoarding them for hopes of scoring big one day, they won't ever sell for much over retail.

If your a Star Wars fan and collector, and don't plan to sell them ever, then I offer you this advice. Free them from their plastic prisons and enjoy them. They are alot funner to display and play with then they are to hang on a wall, or store in a box.

Right now my AOTC's Jedi are fighting a loosing battle on my computer desk against my E1, POTJ, and AOTC's Battle Droids, with a few Destroyer Droids and Super Battle Droids tossed in to the mix. But here comes Jar Jar: Senator leading a squad of CloneTroopers to save the day.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Well I used to open all mine when I was younger, and displayed them on a shelf in my room. Now with all the figures I get, I just leave them in the package and hang them on my wall. I have 15 AOTC figures on the card on my wall. It's just personal preference. I never intend to sell mine, but I just prefer to have them in the package now.

And yeah, JarJar is right. These figures will probably never be worth a thing. They're too widely produced and popular now. Everyone gets them. The reason the old vintage figures are worth so much is because Star Wars wasn't as big back then as it is now. When the first movie came out, not that many people cared. I mean, it's like if some new sci-fi movie came out nowadays and everyone is like "yay, that's cool" but they don't all rush out and buy the toys and everything else in hopes of them being worth something.

I'd say rip 'em open cause they're no fun carded
    I don't really play with them but holding them in my hand and look for different cool poses gives me a great feeling
    oh BTW if someone hasn't noticed, I'm an opener

Open each and every one of those plastic suckers, and enjoy them to the fullest.
    You just remember what old jack burton says at a time like this. Have you paid your dues? yes sir the check is in the mail.

Originally posted by therock0603
    And yeah, JarJar is right. These figures will probably never be worth a thing. They're too widely produced and popular now. Everyone gets them. The reason the old vintage figures are worth so much is because Star Wars wasn't as big back then as it is now. When the first movie came out, not that many people cared. I mean, it's like if some new sci-fi movie came out nowadays and everyone is like "yay, that's cool" but they don't all rush out and buy the toys and everything else in hopes of them being worth something.
    Not to mention in the vintage days, alot fewer people actually collected them mint on card. That's why a vintage figure that sells for 10-20 dollars loose, can fetch a few hundred on a card. Vintage Boba Fett is a good example there, his loose figure isn't worth all that much. But on a 21 back card you got a nice windfalll there. Because mostly everyone got their Boba by mail-order at that time, the carded figure is worth a ton. While there are tons of loose vintage figures out there, carded figures are a little rarer, depending on series and charecter. Hence their value.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I open almost everything I buy. The only figs I actually have in the packaging are my 25th anniversary sets (as they can't really be posed any other way and the box shows off the figures pretty nicely), and one of my 300th edition Boba Fetts.

I think looking at the figures out of the packaging arranged in some sort of display is 10,000 times nicer than looking at a wall of unopened plastic and cardboard but it's all personal preference I suppose.

I opened my 25th anniversary vader-ben duel too cause they are standing in a somewhat stupid pose like they fighting side to side
    and not confronting eachother
    I'll make a small diorama for them so they will stand in there like in the movie and still have a good background/floor/surrounding