Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by bigbarada
    You might be right, GNT. I got my info from Steve Sansweet's Action Figure Archive book; page 157 under the description of the POTF2 Rem. Helm. Vader:

"Kenner made several early attempts, but it took the technology of the 1990s to allow Hasbro to carry off the removable helmet trick without any compromises in the sculpt or the final toy."

What does everyone else think? Is Sansweet full of.....well, you know.

At least we got one in the end,about 14 or so years later I guess we could always make our own rem/hel Vader?
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    Three possibilities on why Luke's saber was yellow.

Yellow plastic was cheaper than green plastic.

Since Ben had the blue saber in the original line-up and Kenner didn't want to confuse small children, they made Luke's saber yellow. In later releases, they wanted to keep that yellow consistency between different Luke figures, hence a Bespin Luke with Yellow saber. By the time JEDI rolled around, They decided to give Luke a green saber, but after awhile, they ran out of green plastic over there in Hong Kong, and went with the blue saber instead...

Kenner was the Hasbro of it's day and didn't give a rat's ___ about the fans so it's whole attitude was "Blue saber, yellow saber...fans will eat up those variants..."
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

Arrow

EP, I believe the blue saber was released first, THEN the green one, for Jedi Luke. I'd buy your theory on not confusing Ben's blue with Luke's blue; it makes sense.
    "That's what Sheev said."

If you watch the ROTJ Teaser Trailer, Luke was slashing skiff guards with a blue saber. Plus the ROTJ movie poster featured two hands holding a blue saber. Considering that it takes a years worth of lead time to produce an action figure, it's easy to see how Kenner would get the color wrong.

As for Kenner's attitude towards variants back then, well I don't think the word was even a part of toy vocabulary back then. Kenner believed that only kids bought their toys, and for the most part they were right. Thus accuracy took a back seat to play value, and if the details had to be fudged then so be it.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I thought the way Kenner did figures back then was so much better than how it's done now. There was the same DV released for all three movies as well as the same Boba Fett for the last two. They never did a new sculpt for a figure unless there was a legitimate reason, like a character in a new outfit. Since figures like DV or the STs never changed, why do a new figure. All they did was release it on a different looking card.

That would be great for a kid who wanted a figure that was released from a previous movie, but was no longer in stock. Now if you want a major character like Luke, you either have to wait for a brand new sculpt or try to bag one off of ebay.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
    I thought the way Kenner did figures back then was so much better than how it's done now.
    Have you seen the POTJ line? So your saying as an example the Vintage Bespin Han Solo is better than the POTJ one? POTJisthe pure winner with sculpts and all
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

They could have included it in the POTF line. All the movies were done by then. They probably just couldn't get it to look right.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

Originally posted by evenflow
    They could have included it in the POTF line. All the movies were done by then. They probably just couldn't get it to look right.
    Your probably right,Maybe they were having problem with the head and helmet which could be a reason behind not making them?
    GNT
    ''

Thumbs up

The second lightsabers (Luke in Bespin outfit, Luke Jedi Knight) are just as bad as the first ones. Even the handle is from the same color. Now, im talking figures that were released almost 20 yrs ago. In that time i remember i was very happy with those sabers. Times change and the new lightsabers rock, why did they sabers changed?? Evolution.
    As always...........L

Originally posted by Lobito
    why did they sabers changed?? Evolution.
    I guess so
    GNT
    ''