Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why Did They Stop It???

Why did they stop making figures like the original Luke,Vader and Ben figures that had the lightsaber that you could push out through their arm???

Cause they didn't do it for like Luke - Bespin or Luke - Jedi and was wondering why they didn't?

Was it a money thing,too expensive???

thoughts?
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

Thumbs up

It probably has to do with money, but I'd liek to think they realized that it looked better with an actual lightsaber to hold.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

Question

The question that I always had, was why yellow? I never understood why a yellow saber, and not green.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

Exclamation

I can answer that, GNT. Back in 1979 when Kenner was looking for feedback from their customers, they had a few polls on their website, kennertoys.com/starwars, asking if any changes to the SW line would improve it, and parents seemed to feel that such a feature could lead kids to carve out their own arms in order to "be like Luke" (as the famous Tang drink commercials said), and that it took away from the overall sculpt of the figure, namely that it would have one less hand to hold an accessory (which should be more than one per figure anyway). Kenner took these comments to their R & D department, and the changes were made.

What?

I really don't know.
    "That's what Sheev said."

You know what I've always wondered? Why didn't they ever resculpt Vader with just a normal lightsaber like Jedi Luke? I never liked the telescoping ones since the blades were always too short.

Umm, BCJ, right. Y'know I'd be willing to bet that there is someone here reading your post thinking that Kenner actually had a website in 1979, and that there was even a such thing as a public access internet before the late 80s/early 90s.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Thumbs up

THAT is why I like the Vintage line better than the POTF2 and POTJ ones. Yes, the sculpts are probably better now, but there wasn't a glut of resculpts. Look at this list of never resculpted figures that made appearances in multiple movies:

Darth Vader
    Boba Fett
    Chewbacca
    Stormtrooper
    Luke X-Wing
    Ben Kenobi
    Imperial Commander

Would I have liked a new Vader back then? Possibly. But that's only because any new SW figures were cool. I never said "My Han's arm is too goofy. I want another one that's different." I wanted all new figures, and in that regard, these new post-1995 lines have done just that.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
    Would I have liked a new Vader back then? Possibly

Thanks people for those comments To bad Kenner never did that Vader with removable helmet back then as it "gave awy the films ending"

GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

To bad Kenner never did that Vader with removable helmet back then as it "gave awy the films ending"
    Actually, I've heard that Kenner tried making a Removable Helmet Darth Vader, but couldn't pull it off without compromising the quality of the figure. At first I couldn't figure out how this was since we had Bouschh Leia, Skiff Guard Lando and Stormtrooper Luke. However, having only half of Vader's helmet removable and then having it match up with the bottom part of his helmet probably was beyond toy technology at the time.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

They didn't make it was beacause George thought it gave away the ending to the movie,I'd would have been then best figure in its day,but would look like crud,Although they should have made/released it after the film came out.
    GNT
    ''

You might be right, GNT. I got my info from Steve Sansweet's Action Figure Archive book; page 157 under the description of the POTF2 Rem. Helm. Vader:

"Kenner made several early attempts, but it took the technology of the 1990s to allow Hasbro to carry off the removable helmet trick without any compromises in the sculpt or the final toy."

What does everyone else think? Is Sansweet full of.....well, you know.