Why did Hasbro abandon the Internet Exclusive Figure?

Anybody have any ideas on this?

B'morr Monk totally ruled!

And the internet is way more widespread than it was back then. I thought it was a great way for them to do more obcure characters . . .

Does anybody know why this concept bit the dust?

There are three reasons why I believe it failed.

1. Hasbro didn't know how to go about selling them through the internet. If you remember, neither internet exclusive was technically sold through the internet. The B'Omarr Monk was ordered through the mail using an order form you printed off the internet and Kabe & Muftak was ordered through a phone number that was on their website.

2. Hasbro had difficulties shipping the figures in a timely manner. It took some people 9+ months just to recieve their B'Omarr Monks.

3. They sold poorly than what was expected. This one applies more to Kabe & Muftak than the B'Omarr Monk. This is why U2 and the Fan Club were selling a lot of these figures for reduced prices.

Lucasfilm put the kibosh on it. For those of you who were part of this hobby back a few years, remember when Kabe & Muftak were pushed back over and over right after LFL and Hasbro signed the new contract? This was the issue, LFL and Hasbro signed a new contract during Hasbro doing PR about the Kabe/Muftak 2pack, after the contract was signed, Hasbro went to sell their exclusive 2pack and found that their new contract did NOT allow for direct sales of this nature, so the 2pack was put on hold while Hasbro hammered out a special deal with LFL to release this set, and it took longer than expected and messed up the release of Hasbro's then-new (and now defunct) hasbrocollectors website.

So, even though Hasbro owns the fan club which gives them certain ways around this issue, LFL is still watching over Hasbro's shoulder to make sure things don't push the envelope of this contract too hard.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

It's really a shame. I never did order Muftak & Kabe but I got several of the B'Omarr Monks and it's a wonderful figure.

Something that would NEVER seen light of day if it could only have been sold at retail.
    Wha'choo talkin 'bout Hasselhoff?

That's interesting JediTricks. I don't see why Lucasfilm would care. (I'm not doubting you, just questioning the wisdom of their policy.) You would think they'd be all for it because it would only generate furthur interest in the line.

LFL is not watching well enough or they would have done something about Hasbro's lack of rational thinking.

InGenOps - THE Jurassic Park & Dinosaur site on the internet!
    http://InGenOps.250free.com

InGenOps Community Forums
    http://InGenOps.hyperboards.com

Mark, I am only guessing here, but I believe the reasoning would be to keep Hasbro from monopolizing any part of the SW market. LucasLicensing (and George himself) does seem to care about collecting issues like exclusivity, market availability, and pricing, but they have their own beliefs they adhere to - which would explain why they find exclusives acceptable but not Hasbro-sold ones.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.