Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deluxe R2-D2?

Deluxe R2-D2?

They should make one that has the Anti-Gravity Boosters that come out of the legs (they could do this by making the legs a little bigger than normal, but not where it looks stupid) and he could come with some kinda pack in.

How about just making them removable so they don't have to compromise the sculpt? Give him a removable third leg also, since having it retractable forces Hasbro to sculpt him with a longer body.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I like BB's ideas!!! The boosters idea is cool, but even with the extra 3 legs, this should not be a deluxe IMO. Ani OPD has a HUGE accessory and he's a basic, so I think they could get away with 2 alternate legs and a detachable middle leg without jacking the price up to $11.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Why would the third leg have to be removeable? It could be based on the D2/Q5/M9/T7 mold and have it to where a section on the leg could slide out and then you slid the booster pieces in. The legs would only have to be modified to have the space there, and since this wouldn't a "force action" or anything, they can use magnets for this sort of thing. As long as the magnets were pretty strong though... like along the lines of Zam's arm, that way they wouldn't have to take much out of the leg so that it wouldn't warp or get all gummy from the less plastic being used on it. I'd like to see it some with a small platform that can attach to the conveyor belt that 3PO comes with and have a transparent stand on it that has pegs on it for R2's feet to attach to so it doesn't have to suffer from ugly holes.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Having the third leg be removable would remedy the elongated body problem that all recent astromech droids have suffered.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Not only are the bodies a smidge elongated (compare any POTJ-scale R2 to an Action Collection R2), but the middle legs are too long so they don't retract all the way AND they don't stop in the right place.

As for magnets, I don't think that'd work out - the friction wouldn't be enough to let the droid stand on its own and on the 3rd leg, it'd have to have 2 magnets to keep the orientation proper. Then again, magnets would let us recreate all those ANH scenes where R2's right leg keeps trying to go a different route every time he is seen switching from 2- to 3-legged mode.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I meant the magnet and removeable section would be in the leg in an indention that goes through about half of the leg, you would pull a small part of the center part out of the leg, and then slide the rocketized piece into place which would be held there by magnets so it would stay securely there. The elongated bodies could be fixed in the molding process and the extra long third leg isn't a probably, I just fix my droid at the angle I want it in, then pull the third leg down until it's even with the other two legs. I kinda like being able to pose them at different angles too.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

You know... I've never really noticed a problem with the Astromech bodies. They are fine when you compare them to all the other problems they have with getting everything else correct!!
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
    You know... I've never really noticed a problem with the Astromech bodies. They are fine when you compare them to all the other problems they have with getting everything else correct!!
    Wow, I was starting to think I was the only one here who didn't have a problem with the astromech figures. Honestly it has never even occured to me to be upset about the elongated bodies. I always thought they were pretty decent.
    Wha'choo talkin 'bout Hasselhoff?