Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Angry

Ya know what else sucks...even if you went to Indy today, you probably didn't get one!

I loaded the wife (who already questions my sanity for playing with little plastic men) up this morning and made the 170 mile one-way trip to Indy. Got there about 9:30 AM, stood in line, plunked down my $60 for the two of us (again, wife is REAL impressed with this!).

My receipt is time-stamped 10:21 AM. Got directions to where ole Jorge was to be sold. Got there and was told, "Sorry...all sold out."!

I guarantee you I'll NEVER fall for this Bull***t again!

I don't blame Hasbro or any other company for this. I blame member of the Star Wars collecting community who are in this purely to speculate and skew interests. The ones who jump the guns on rumors, the ones who fuel the secondary market, the ones who make us all worry if we'll be able to find the figures we like and want.

Hasbro put forth a fun figure to celebrate C2 - something that isn't needed to complete the set of figures from the movies. Something unique for fans to KEEP.

So blame the buyers, blame the sellers. This is the reason our little hobby has exploded into an orgy of greed.
    "It's bombs away for Iraq and on our civil liberties if Bush and his cronies get their way. Dissent is patriotic!"
    - Helen Thomas, veteran journalist

Journalists are mostly centrist in their political orientation. The minority of journalists who do not identify with the "center" are more likely to identify with the "right" when it comes to economic issues and to identify with the "left" when it comes to social issues.

I for one DO blame Hasbro. They say they want to pleae the fans, then why do something like this. Hey if I had $1,000 to go to Celebration II I'd probably do it, but I don't so I didn't go. Does that make me or anyone else who doesn't have enough money to go any less of a fan? This is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that were unable to attend. Perhaps if it were in Kansas City which is more centrally located, then I probably could have gone since that is not that far from me. I am sick of the exclusives and Hasbros little explanation of why they do them (in the SSG news section) is just plain ridiculous. Why don't they think that fans will buy these if they were available everywhere? There are millions of Star Wars fans and many of them are completists. Set the product at a resonable price that is easy to find and I guarantee that they will sell. I for one am glad that this whole shuttle business limited to 5,000 has finally been announced as just a rumor and not confirmed. So far this year we already have two exclusives that are going to be nearly impossible to find.

Jorg Sacul and 25th Anniversary Darth Vader.

Hey Hasbro stop with the exclusives. If you really want to know if something is going to sell, then I suggest you start hiring people that are fans of the figures you make, heck I'd be willing to work in your division. Who do I call for a job like that? I have a pretty large knowledge of Star Wars, Transformers, and G.I.Joe, which the latter two have suffered within the last couple of years. Hiring fans is the best way to go.
    "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."

Sithdroid, they know that they won't sell at regular retail because they tried for years. Starting in 1995 with The Millenium Falcon, X-Wing, Landspeeder, Tie Fighter, AT-ST, and continuing on thru all the ships afterwards.

They sat on shelves and most people didn't buy them, until the stores basically told Hasbro that they didn't want anymore vehicles clogging shelf space. Everything was pretty much cleranced out, and smaller retailers stopped ordering anything outside of figures, at all.

The stores won't take the gamble on the ships like they did at the start. The one ship they took a gamble on was the Queen's Royal Starship and that one didn't sell well, and ended up getting cleranced. So it's either exclusive for most of the vehicles, or make none at all.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I agree with Jar Jar. They don't sell at the store level. ANd honestly, I would probably buy less of them if they were sitting on the shelves everywhere. I mean, the only reason I bought a lot of vehicles is because they were on clearance. And now, the only reason I buy them, is because they are in extremely limited quantities.

And the reason they don't hire fans is simple. They are a business. No matter what they say, or we might want to think, they are not out to please us. They are out to make money, which is what businesses do. A fan would go in there and ruin the company in a year. It's not the cool or popular answer, but it's the truth.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

Originally posted by Neat Stuff
    Ya know what else sucks...even if you went to Indy today, you probably didn't get one!

I loaded the wife (who already questions my sanity for playing with little plastic men) up this morning and made the 170 mile one-way trip to Indy. Got there about 9:30 AM, stood in line, plunked down my $60 for the two of us (again, wife is REAL impressed with this!).

My receipt is time-stamped 10:21 AM. Got directions to where ole Jorge was to be sold. Got there and was told, "Sorry...all sold out."!

I guarantee you I'll NEVER fall for this Bull***t again!
    Now that does suck. I think poorly of Hasbro when they can't even keep up with demand this Jorg Sacul figure. Everyone that attended C2 should've been able to get at least one.

But I do agree with JJB and QLD on this one. If the TF Vader and Jorg Sacul figure were everywhere, people would complain that all that sits on the shelves were these 2 figures and that it prevents stores from ordering more figures.

The TF Vader was a promotional item at Toy Fair for those in the business. The fact that collectors wanted them to the point where they'll spend hundreds of dollars on them, was a bit shocking to say the least.

Then they try to do something for the collectors, by selling them on the web site, and then they get crap for that. The same thing would happen if they sold the Jorg Sacul figure on the web site. If Hasbro mass produced these 2 figures, more than likely, we would get 2 less figures in the regular line.

There are many people that work in Hasbro's Marketing department that spend their entire days thinking of what will sell, and what won't. The fact is, a TF Vader and Jorg Sacul figure won't sell that well in the mass market. I'm sure there are a lot of fans out there that don't even know about them. Most of the people who whine about them are the internet savvy fans that are a little more hardcore then most.

Just look at JJB's example. This stuff actually didn't sell. For every one fan that's a completist, there are maybe 25 that are just casual collectors.

You also have to remember that Hasbro listens more to retailers than fans. If Hasbro made a product that didn't sell, the retailers will tell them, and that will make it harder for them to come out with a similar product.

Some people will never understand this, I know, but its the reason why Hasbro does these sort of things.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
    Sithdroid, they know that they won't sell at regular retail because they tried for years. Starting in 1995 with The Millenium Falcon, X-Wing, Landspeeder, Tie Fighter, AT-ST, and continuing on thru all the ships afterwards.

They sat on shelves and most people didn't buy them, until the stores basically told Hasbro that they didn't want anymore vehicles clogging shelf space. Everything was pretty much cleranced out, and smaller retailers stopped ordering anything outside of figures, at all.

The stores won't take the gamble on the ships like they did at the start. The one ship they took a gamble on was the Queen's Royal Starship and that one didn't sell well, and ended up getting cleranced. So it's either exclusive for most of the vehicles, or make none at all.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    The ships I can underestand, but figures, come on now. How hard is it to mass produce these? Besides figures usually sell way better anyway because they are cheaper. The problem with the vehicles when they came out was that they were way too overpriced. Who wants to pay $80 for and AT-AT or $100 for a Queen Royal Starship? Not me. These things are made out of plastic people and the cost to make these things is quite minimal compared to the mark-up that they get put at for sale. That is why people wait for them to get clearanced down. They are just too expensive. That is what I am planning on doing with the AOTC vehicles. The Slave I and Jedi Starfighter are everywhere here. They are definately goiing to sit on the shelves until they get clearanced. I for one don't collect many vehicles, mainly due to the large amount of space they take up, but for figures, they should be more accessible to everyone.
    "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."

I think the primary reason these figures are so popular is because they are so exclusive. If Jorg Sacul was released at mass market everybody would be complaining about the rehashed body and overall crappy quality. Same for Toyfair Vader, who I would only want because of his exclusivity and that nifty vac-sealed finish, otherwise he is simply a regurgitation of a hideous mold.

I never said Sacul or TF Vader should be at mass retail. I just think that there could have been a better way so everyone could enjoy these items. I have to say DC Direct does it right. Solicate an exclusive figure for a month and 4-6 months later that toy comes out. Everything is made to order so it is up to comic shops how many are produced. Hasbro could EASILY do this through the fanclub. It would cost a little more but wouldn't this help everyone? Hasbro could reuse old molds with retooled heads. They could even do vehicles this way. Hasbro knew damn well that these two figures would be highly coveted by certain collectors. That's the whole point with Toyfair giveaways anyway. Create a "buzz" around your product. As far as Sacul is concerned Hasbro probably did it to "brownnose" with ole Georgey. Why not release Sacul in different packaging?

It is sad that every fan could not go, but that is the breaks. Consider this. Even if you could of went, the price of the ticket, the cost of gas, and accomidations, and food (ect.) would be well over the price you may pay for one Jorg figure. So, your are actually saveing money. Plus the hour and a half wait to get the figure and battleing the 28,000 other fans there deserves a little bit of a price hike.

If anyone does buy one on ebay, then just think of all the money and stress your saveing.
    If you want to find it you have to shop.