Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I just got back from C2, and would like to chime in here. I live in Massachusetts, and I am poor. I could not afford to go to C2, but I scraped up some dough, and My girfreind and Grandparent's gave me the plane tickets, and the Three day Fanclub pass (Member for long time, ..since oh before you were born) and I went alone and stayed in a crappy hotel for $60.00 a night pretty far away from the convenion center. I got in line at 6:30 am on Friday morning, and I would say I was around 200th in line. Once entering the building I was directed to where people were picking up passes, instead of the store, which I found shortly there after. The line to get in the store was incredible. But after a while I got in and got my 2 Jorg's allowed per person per day. a couple hours later I said what the hell, and got 2 more. Lucky for me because when came back on Saturday at noon they were sold out for the day. On Sunday I tried to get there earlier, but I got there about 7:30 and was approximately in the thousand range in line. But patience paid off and I did get in while they had plenty left and I got 2, and went into another line just in time to get the last 2 on the table. It may not have been "Fair" but as I said before, I am poor. I am not an e-bastard. I spent my last $40 that morning, gave one to my friend at $10.00 and almost immediately sold 2 of the for $50.00 each. Know I had money to eat, and buy more toys! All I'm trying to say is, if you needed Jorg Sacul that bad, so bad that without it you would give up this hobby (which I did for a time after I couldn't get TC-14 or R2-B1) Then you should have come up with the dough to go. My girlfreind is an expert at getting cheap airfare and accomadations. I couldn't even afford to take a taxi anywehre, I used the hotel's shuttle to get back and forth from the convention center. All in all the total cost of going (including the prices of my birthday gifts) was about $1,000.00 well spent.Exclusive figures are part of this hobby, and I hope they wil be for some time. I thought the TF vader was cool, but not my cuppa tea, But Jorg is. I just hope that I don't find them on the shelves at TRU for $1.97, Wuher style. All I'm tryingto say is if you want something bad enough get of your *** and do something about it. Kevfett, you say your supportingyourself and your fiancewhile she goes to med school? what are you complaining about? Having to wait until your rich doctor wife can buy you one? I support my girlfriend and our 7 year old son, and I could manage to go, because I love Star Wars more than anything. I went to C1, C2, and next time the whole family is going to C3. Ihope to see some of you there,as I did not see a single one of the SSG "passes" Sirsteve made. Also Kefett you are cleary a member of this communtity, why didn't you make a friend of someone who was going and get them to get one for you? My Tru contat asked me to get him one, and I did. I would have been more than happ to help out anyone who asked if I could get them one, but alas only one person did, so he is probably one of the few people who dod not go C2 who will get one cheap. Take care, ad MTHFBWY!

You know, now that C2 is done and over I have simmered down a little. In answer to chenlembec. I just didn't know anyone who was going to C2, or I would have. I have a little bit of a problem shopping around, mainly because it just feeds the madness. Personally I would have no problem paying a fan who had to stand in line for a Sacul. My whole problem now is finding out about those fans who traveled all of that way to get shut out. I will now put my tail between my legs and get a Sacul from the "Bay". I just hope it will be from a fan who actually appreciated going to the celebration. I'm going to start saving now for C3. What can I say? I love Star Wars. I do think Hasbro needs to rethink how they distribute exclusives. I think a DC Direct approach would be perfect. Maybe we would even see more expanded Universe fig. Those are my favorites. But anyways, thanks for putting it into perspective for me chenlembec!

I have one word for all of this anti-Sacul sentiment....PERSPECTIVE. The only reason everyone has their panities in such a tizzy about this is because it's a FIGURE. Would we all be ranting and raving about the Celebration II exclusive key chain, bottle opener, or toothbrush? Yes, I was forunate enough to live within 3 hours of Indy and yes I patiently waited in line for an hour to spend twice the normal retail value for an imaginary figure (and a Cel. II program, which no one seems too upset about not being able to buy). But it is simply a novelty item, not an integral character to the line. They didn't even put them on special cards, just the same Ep. II theme card with some different printing on the back.

Sure I wanted this figure since I had the opportunity, but if it wasn't feasible then so be it. I personally am more disappointed in missing out on TC-14, Sio Bibble, R2 with Hologram, Admiral Motti, & Hooded Leia in the stores and must submit to scalpers prices to add these to my collection. And let's face it, as immoral as we want to paint the scalpers, it is the people that pay the prices that fuel the whole thing! The $100 "Buy it Now" postings are nauseating, but it looks like most of the other postings have bids legitimately driven up to $60-$80. Simple supply & demand...if someone wants the thing bad enough then the scalpers are rewarded. Just echoing the point that Lord Tenebrous made above - we all want to be part of the solution but unfortunately we (collectors) are the reason for the problem!

To me a reasonable compromise would be to reissue the figure through the fan club on a different card without the Celebration II printing so that all collectors at least have a chance to add it to their collection, and those that did attend at least have the (somewhat) unique card.

chenlembec, that's just silly. You mentioned twice that you are poor, I don't know any poor people who can spend a grand on a vacation.

Look,
    All I'm trying to say is, if you needed Jorg Sacul that bad, so bad that without it you would give up this hobby (which I did for a time after I couldn't get TC-14 or R2-B1) Then you should have come up with the dough to go.
    wouldn't it be fair to respond to that with, "if you needed 'money to eat and buy more toys' shouldn't you have come up with the dough ahead of time ? Instead of scalping 2 Jorg Saculs that other attendees didn't get?"

I can't believe such controversy arises from a toy sale

Originally posted by chenlembec
    I support my girlfriend and our 7 year old son, and I could manage to go, because I love Star Wars more than anything.
    Amenaman Caeser, poor does not equal blowing $1,000 to go to a convention. If you were really poor, you would be worrying more about buying food and a place to live then spending that kinda cash on a convention. You realize with that 1,000 you blew you could have easily picked up your TC-14 and R2-B1 figures and had around $950 bucks left. Oh, and this is not an attack, it's just a message on your priorities. But I am sure the fact that stating you love Star Wars more than anything, which includes your girlfriend and son, makes you a real super guy.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

As so many "masters of the obvious" pointed out YES they're just toys (absurd all on their own.) The toys aren't the point--the stupid shuttle or crappy Jek Porkins with Lucas head--the point is that Hasbro and Lucas treat their fans like ****!
    HE expects us to support him in order to make his movies; yes, a business, yet consistently finds ways to exclude or alienate his fans in little ways like what happened at Celebration II or making Decipher cards obsolete etc...
    Just keep this in mind . . . What is going to happen to Hasbro after Episode III and there is no promise of more movies to come??? It'll be like 1984 all over again. Figures will drop through the floor as well as demand and everything else Star Wars will become uncool again. Does anyone else have stories of yard sale figures 3 for a buck???
    [It's all garbage] George is getting his money while it's hot!

Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Amenaman Caeser, poor does not equal blowing $1,000 to go to a convention. If you were really poor, you would be worrying more about buying food and a place to live then spending that kinda cash on a convention. You realize with that 1,000 you blew you could have easily picked up your TC-14 and R2-B1 figures and had around $950 bucks left. Oh, and this is not an attack, it's just a message on your priorities. But I am sure the fact that stating you love Star Wars more than anything, which includes your girlfriend and son, makes you a real super guy.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    I agree with you. Having food and a place to live is more important than a $1,000 3 day so called "vacation."

I honestly would have gone had I had the kind of money to blow. Unfortunately I'm still fresh out of college and saving my money up for more important things, not that SW isn't important to me, but sometimes other priorites come first.
    "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."

I don't think you guys are getting it...these figures were made for those that attended the convention. On the back of each card it says Indianapolis, IN. The idea was hundreds of thousands made there way to Indy for the event. This figure was meant for them!

Was there a severe loss of communicating that...yes. Did HASBRO make enough...hell no, however, if you were told you couldn't get one at the Celebration II Store, there was a form you could fill out to have the figures sent to you later, so anyone who was there could have gotten them, end of story.

Jorg Sacul is a cool figure, but come on...it's JUST a figure. If you stop collecting because of one exclusive figure, you're just nuts, and will miss out on alot of great figures down the road.

As evil as Ebay might be, the Jorgs are out there if you want one that bad. From here on out there's no way you'll get one for the 10 bucks they were selling for so suck it up and pay big or forget you ever heard of Jorg Sacul.

Anyone who got to Indy and stood in line at the Celebration Store first thing after getting in had a chance to get figures. I was there, all three days, all three mornings before 12 noon, and they still had them in hand. Just check out my pics from the show. You can see where the lines were and how it was set up.

Celebration II Pics

I totally agree that it is ridiculous and that it sucks about Sacul only being available for 3 days in one part of the country. I hope they never do it again.

Unfortunatly, I am weak. Ebay calls, damn myself for being a completist.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

The way I see it, I hope C3 has another exclusive that I can get ahold of, in enough quantity for me to have one, and to barter the rest for the other exclusives (Sacul, TF Vader), but not at the expense of shutting out other fans......that'd just suck
    "You will shed tears of crimson"-Vicious (Cowboy Bebop)

YOU MADE IT HAPPEN!!! THANKS FOR VOTING CONCEPT STORMIE!!!