Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Vader didn't shoot Luke down in ANH? Target locked in...

Watching ANH today, Vader says, "I have you now." This is after we see that his targeting computer has locked Luke's X-wing into the computer. Then Vader GETS HIS SHOT OFF! How did those shots, you can see them better in slow motion, miss Luke's X-wing? He does not turn or jerk his tie fighter because of the Millennium Falcon. We can see that in slow motion. So how did those seemingly straight laser cannon blasts miss the X-wing????

Just watch it before you respond...much appreciated.
    One way to out think people is to make them think you think they'll think what you are not really trying to get them to think what you think.

Vader, as powerful with the force as he is, sensed the Falcon coming towards him which shook his concentration and threw his aim off.

Or, we saw with red leader that those computers aren't the most accurate things in the world. Maybe if he'd just used the force rather than his computer to aim he would have gotten him.

Perhaps Vader's computer was still homing in and Vader took the shot expecting that his fire would track into the X-wing in a few more shots. I have noticed what you're talking about though, his fire doesn't hit its mark at that point, but then again, there are a lot of missed shots in that battle anyway.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

because we'd have no 5th or 6th movie if he'd hit the x-wing and 'sploded it?

I dunno i may be barking up the wrong tree here but y'know....

They didn't need to show Vader's TIE firing, they chose to.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I thought Han fired first, but with Lucas' redux I can never remember who shot at who in what battle when and where....
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    They didn't need to show Vader's TIE firing, they chose to.
    Exactly. I wish they had chose not to show him firing. What's more, they show Vader hitting the laser firing buttons with his hands. ???

His computer being "off target" doesn't make sense because, up until that point, every time he "locked a target in" it meant "yo ***". Watch it, and see what I mean?

Anyway...just something that really bugs me. But ANH is still my favorite.
    One way to out think people is to make them think you think they'll think what you are not really trying to get them to think what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Long Gone View Post
    I thought Han fired first, but with Lucas' redux I can never remember who shot at who in what battle when and where....

Right. Lucas had to have Vader actually fire first so that Han didn't seem like a cold-blooded killer. The earlier Greedo scene was foreshadowing this later incident.

It's in the script, Vader was supposed to fire and then have his wingman shot, why Vader is supposed to miss remains unexplained. Maybe it's Obi-Wan's doing, maybe shooting at a moving target in space going super fast isn't as easy as it looks, but the script gives no clue as to why Luke doesn't get hit this time.

When R2 is shot moments before, Vader is locked in and his hits aren't very precise, most of the shots miss before one strikes the droid, so it's not entirely surprising that the targeting computer ain't that perfect.

well, confuters aern't plerfect.

i bet it's a combination of the fact that the computer was locked onto a region of space ahead of the craft, not the x-wing itself... many variables to contend with there... and the fact that the force is strong with luke, and that somehow did... something... to the ... uh...

and han... he distracted you while you would've been thinking about the force being strong with luke somehow... yeah... oh, and he shot the wingman, who collided with the other wingman, who then sent vader careening into space.

THEED CLOSED
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope