Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Into the Trenches! (Death Star trench, that is.)

This is going to be a kind of general survey thread, but I was thinking of this today and thought I'd see what interpretations others had.
    How many out there thought that the Death Star trench sequence took place along the Death Star's equatorial ridge upon their first (or first few dozen) viewings? I was almost 12 when I saw Star Wars on the big screen for the first time, late in the summer of 1977. My earliest impressions were that the "trench" and the equator were one in the same. It was only many years and dozens of viewings later that I realized my error. Was anyone else laboring under this misaprehension?
    "Does the name "Dingo" mean anything to you?" - Jedi Boulton to DingoDad at the October Dallas ComiCon.

Red face

To be honest I've always thought that was the trench they were flying through. I think it was all the references to "The Death Star Trench" not "one of the Death Star trenches" that led to my misconception.

If the trench wasn't at the equator then where was it?
    Last edited by bigbarada; 09-10-2001 at 01:32 PM.

I, too, once believed this. After I found that was incorrect, I believed for a while that the exhaust port was the dot in the center of the superlaser.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I, too, laboured under this perception for many years. I basically thought about it (after seeing many production sketches) and decided they could not be one and the same due to the narrow width of the trench. The confusing part of the trench location lies in the "technical readouts of that battlestation". The superlaser seems to be located AT the equator on that screen next to Dodonna. Notice how the close-ups progress... it still appears that the trench is at the equator... but again, there is the issue with the superlaser.

Perhaps I'm still off my mong, but if there's anyone with some sort of schematic as to where the trench is located I would gladly review it!
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Hmm...I still don't know the exact location for sure...but how can the exhaust port be in the dot of the superlaser? The area is clearly boxed in and has to be on another section of the Death Star.
    "Two in the box, ready to go, we be fast, and they be slow!"
    Check out my art at The Terrace Room!

As a kid, I also thought it was in the equatorial trench. I don't remember the cheesy atari-quality graphcs from the rebel briefing well enough to be sure of this, but I think the trench graphic even pops out of the equator, which would obviously be a good reason to think this.

However, the thermal exhaust port is actually in a trench 3/4ths of the way from the equator to the northern pole, according to everything I've read.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

If memory serves, it appears that the trench runs a north/south line along the northern hemisphere on one side of the Death Star. I will grant that the laser dish seems strangely out of place on the readout, however. I will need to review this week to be sure.
    "Does the name "Dingo" mean anything to you?" - Jedi Boulton to DingoDad at the October Dallas ComiCon.

yes, the graphics show the dish in the center. These were probably done when preliminary designs still had the Death Star wearing its main dish at its equator (I didn't even know there was an early design with the dish in the middle till a couple days ago when I visited SW.com, that's where I got that info).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Its true, the graphic of the death star that is presented in the movie is incorrect, its not the same as the actual death star. The green graphic shows the super laser right in the middle of the ecuatorial line, but the laser is actually a little bit higher from the line. Nice discovery cole!!
    As always...........L

I too thought that they were cruising down the middle of it but after looking around one day I kinda figured things out.

There are north-south trenches that start at the north pole of the Death Star and fan out from there. The Rebels travelled in one of them and they actually show you in the movie. When the graphic is pulled up it starts to zoom in and shows where the attack is going to start. Just cue it up and you'll see.

EDIT: Just lookin' at times and I noticed that JT posted only 2 and a half hours before the WTC attacks.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!