Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Realscan: Skinny Head syndrome

Something I had noticed when the Realscan images started showing up on the net was that many of the heads looked a bit on the "tall" or "thin" side. I had wondered if this was how the software rendered the images and if there would be some eventual correction to the final "working" image. Apparently, since the Realscans are being used to aid the sculptors in their process, no corrections have been made. If you look at the current Obi-Wan and Padme figures, you can see that their heads are much thinner than the actual actor's heads. Ewan's and Natalie's foreheads are much broader than they've been rendered for the figures. I also noticed this on the new Palpatine figure.

It seems that Realscan has succeeded in certain areas and failed in others. Am I the only one who's noticed this?
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

I haven't personally noticed this.
    Wha'choo talkin 'bout Hasselhoff?

The realscanned busts of George and Ewan picture that surfaced in the caption contest on the official site looked really thin and weird so I resized the image to squash it down and it looked fine but I wonder if the process does this too as I think the figures heads look a bit skinny at times. But the mini busts seem to look okay don't they? The one's they showed at Shreveport last year that are now being made available to buy.

Yeah... the busts look fine, but I'm wondering if the sculptors were unable to do that for some bizarre reason. BTW... it's nice to see you EJ. :happy:
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Question is, if they can do those mini busts so well why do the 12 inch figures heads look so danged awful? From the looks of it there isn't that much size difference really. Even the 4 inch figures look better than the 12 inch ones. Really odd. It's probably down to having to keep doing it withthe sculptors themselves rather than use the realscan on the 4 inch figures because they don't shrink down too well or something. And possibly something to do with using the damn vynil plastics. It stretches in the molds is my hypothesis. Either that or the sculptor needs to get new glasses. I have a bad mirror in my bathroom that squeezes my reflection owing to the poor quality of the glass and the fact that it's an old mirror. Some folks don't change the lenses in their glasses often enough and this can lead to altered vision. Maybe the sculptor sees things normally but is actually getting squeezed vision and everything they sculpt is thin and stretched...... I'm plucking at straws here and I know it.

BTW nice to see you too JP. You haven't been around much lately have you?

And if you look at the rock figure, it looks real tall & thin too (and crappy!)

The Mark Wahlberg likeness from the 12 inch Planet of the Apes line has this as well. His head, aside from being abnormally large like most Hasbro 12 inch figures, seemed really elongated, which completely ruined the likeness in my opinion. I was hoping to be able to use that head to customize a Wahlberg Three Kings figure!

I can't say that I have considered this. But now that my friend JEDIpartnr mentioned it, I may see your point sir.

I've always appreciated the Dooku head sculpt, but I just compared it to the pic from my Dooku trading card tin and I must say the figure's face does appear pretty slender. The pic I used for reference has a semi-side profile, so I could gauge breadth rather accurately and by comparison the figure face slopes back from the nose, chin, and middle of forehead.

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

Looks like the Clone Trooper is suffering from the same. If you look in the pictures the Clone Trooper's helmet is wider but the figures' are thinner.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

I've noticed this also, the worst ones so far are Padme, DX Obi-Wan and Palpatine. However, I don't think it is the realscan doing it since the prototype of Palpatine looked perfect. It might have something to do with the softer plastic they are using.