Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Why I have stopped collecting." or "Thanks for saving me money, Hasbro!"

After 24 years of collecting SW toys, this is the end. I don't know what exactly has changed - maybe I know now that I will never re-capture the thrill or fun that I once had as a child with a new SW toy, or maybe I realize that when it comes time to move it will be a lot easier if I don't have tons of toys to haul - but in any event I know it's time to move on. I'm selling my collection, and will do so until it's mostly gone. Sure, I'll hold onto a few things, like my very first SW ship and figure (Landspeeder and C-3PO) and possibly a lot more than I'm willing to admit right now, but I've given up caring anymore.
    A large part of this is due to the fact that Hasbro has made it so hard to collect. I'm sick of getting excited to see a long-awaited figure get made only to have it be shipped on a one to ten basis with some green-tentacled Jedi. Hasbro has always said they never short-pack figures. Bull. The last few assortments were so staggeringly uneven as to boggle the mind. And the worst of it is they have the gall to whine about movie tie-ins loosing money. It's no wonder, cosidering that when you walk into Wal-Mart and see approximately 10,000 units, not a single one of which is Yoda.
    I'll still buy something if it fits into my cantina diorama, or is just too cool to pass up (I will hunt for the interactive R2-D2 if I have to) but for the most part, Hasbro has lost a customer. I even passed up an Endor soldier the other day. It was well done, accurate and, most importanly, rare. I hope it went to a kid that will rip open the package, and play with it for many years to come. Thanks, Hasbro, for helping me see the light.

Yoda and Dooku, the ones you are obviously complaining about, are starting to peg warm in most areas. Nothing this year will be rare. Hasbro has even said, that they will continue to ship Yoda and Dooku, due to the demand that still exists for them. If you really have such a hard time finding stuff, start a collecting club here for your area, or trade or buy at retail with fellow forumites. Caeser and Dar' Argol have both helped me, complete my collection of figures, with stuff I couldn't find around here. I am sure that someone will be willing to help you too.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Yeah, just go about trading or something. Not everything has to be bought by you.

Heck, you could've traded that Endor Soldier for a Yoda.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    I think the point he's getting at is that the hunt is no longer fun. Hasbro says they don't artificially increase demand for their products which is utter bull. I'm in agreement that I'd rather walk into a retailer and find dozens of the things that I want than be happy that I got the "last one"...
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

I totally understand what 1138 is going through, I have decided to scale back my collecting also to the point that I can barely even be called a collector anymore. There is a grand total of three action figures I plan to buy throughout the rest of the year, that's it. It's just too frustrating going into stores and finding nothing but Kit Fisto's as far as the eye can see. Sure the figures might be becoming more plentiful in your area Jar Jar; but over here the stores have stopped ordering anything new. I wouldn't be surprised if these retailers pull their support completely for an Ep3 line.

Anyway, yes, collectors clubs are great and helpful but you are missing the point. They shouldn't be necessary for me to get the figures I want. If I have to rely completely on collector's clubs and people out of my state to get the new figures then something is seriously wrong with Hasbro's distribution.

No, the only thing is wrong is that Ebay came into existance. Since that just incourages the scalpers to clear the pegs of the new figures, because they can see how much money they can make if they do it. Hasbro ships in decent ammounts right now, its when you live in citys that are hot beds of scalping, do the things get harder to find.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I can't help but to feel Wooooof's pain as if it were my own.

Anyways, I do understand what you are saying Jar Jar, it's not Hasbro's fault that the scalpers are putting many smaller towns through a drought. It is frustrating though and has led many to just lose interest in the line.

I do agree that ebay has changed the collectibles marketplace forever and has also strangled any last remnant of fun that was left in collecting new figures. However, ebay has opened the market up for vintage toys and helped drive prices down on many vintage items. That's one of the pluses of an easily-accessible world market. One of the big minuses is the aforementioned scalper problem.

I hate scalping too (even though, regrettably, I have done it once myself with the goofy tounge Jar-Jar) but overall I don't think ebay is the problem. If anyone could go into the closest Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, or Toy store and be relatively certain that the figure they were after would be there no-one would scalp in the first place. Sure- there would be those impulsive types who need it NOW that would support some scalping, but I think most of us could wait if we knew what we were looking for would be around later. I remember the OLD days of the vintage line when the same old Han (not resculpt #12) would be repackaged over the years on a new card and be relatively available. I also remember the not-so old days when SchwarzenLando was rare, but eventually was available.
    I don't mind re-sculpts (what if we had to live with Luke-the-Barbarian as our only choice), and I don't mind re-releases (the Stormtrooper pack is a brilliant idea) but I can't stand it when you've got 1,000 Luke-with-bending-knees-and-T-16 spilling off the shelves, but not a sinlge R2 w/ holo Leia. Granted, the R2 had production problems, but you get the drift.
    Maybe it's the retailers fault for over -ordering just one wave with no foresight of what's next (I couldn't believe watching Wal-Mart putting out more and MORE of the same cases!) but I think Hasbro doesn't really care to fix the problem that badly. If so, they would have a website you could reliably order from. How many people would subscribe to a figure-of-the-month type club? I don't know what the solution is, but I know that when I can't bring myself to open a Cloud City escape Chewie to watch Threepio's head light up becasue it's too rare it's time to give up. What fun is it if it's not any fun?

P.S. - The Micro Machines are up for grabs this week on ebay.

I Feel You, But I Just Can't Reach You...

Its too bad that your collecting days are going the way of the horse and buggy. Its too bad that the little boy that you remember is a just a mere memory. Maybe with careful consideration you may want to "Rethink Your Life." But to give up on a part of yourself that has found so much joy, is just a pity. Sometimes, as time goes by, we see the world change and at the same time we feel as if we were the only ones that haven't changed, although with out knowing it, you may have lost the ability to see a toy in the simple but miraculious mind of a child. I know, the boy I was, didn't care if I had all the toys, I just hoped to have one to share among my friends as we acted out our vengence on the rebels. It's funny, I still have my first Star Wars action figure. Although looking at Luke, he's missing a hand and not by the fally of his father but of my childhood best friend Woofy, that like to take my star wars figures and bury them in the back yard, I look at that figure and it will always be my favorite. You see, if you get caught up in the world of collecting, you end up leaving the best part of what these toys are really made for, playing. Don't give up, that kid is still their and he's saying don't take my speeder, 3p0 hates to walk! "Never think the best has been, cause like always the best has yet to come!"
    Last edited by Sakay; 06-20-2002 at 07:09 PM.

Re: I Feel You, But I Just Can't Reach You...

Originally posted by Sakay
    Its too bad that your collecting days are going the way of the horse and buggy. Its too bad that the little boy that you remember is a just a mere memory. Maybe with careful consideration you may want to "Rethink Your Life." But to give up on a part of yourself that has found so much joy, is just a pity. Sometimes, as time goes by, we see the world change and at the same time we feel as if we were the only ones that haven't changed, although with out knowing it, you may have lost the ability to see a toy in the simple but miraculious mind of a child. I know, the boy I was, didn't care if I had all the toys, I just hoped to have one to share among my friends as we acted out our vengence on the rebels. It's funny, I still have my first Star Wars action figure. Although looking at Luke, he's missing a hand and not by the fally of his father but of my childhood best friend Woofy, that like to take my star wars figures and bury them in the back yard, I look at that figure and it will always be my favorite. You see, if you get caught up in the world of collecting, you end up leaving the best part of what these toys are really made for, playing. Don't give up, that kid is still their and he's saying don't take my speeder, 3p0 hates to walk! "Never think the best has been, cause like always the best has yet to come!"
    I've noticed that after long droughts of no new figures and total frustration on my part, I tend to just throw up my hands and say "I quit!" However, then I pick up one particularly special and awesome figure that reminds me of why I am in this hobby in the first place. For me, finding the Endor Rebel Trooper at Wal-Mart last night has brought back that childhood sense of wonder that so captivated me as a kid. I also never wanted to "Collect them all" I just wanted enough to act out my own little stories in the backyard or to have cool figures to take to school and play with when friends came over. Thanks for that Sakay, it always helps to have someone come by with the proverbial slap in the face to get me to remember why I collect in the first place.