Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question ATOC - suitable for little kids?

Hey ppl,

first of all, let's get a few things straight: I *am* a SW fan. I can *hardly* wait 'till the 16th. And I *do* know I'm opening a huge can of worms here. But I still think this topic should be discussed...

Do all of you consider AOTC a movie suitable for little kids (i.e. 4-10)?

I mean, I know it's all science fiction, but still... At least to me, AOTC looks like it might be the most violent of all SW movies to date. I mean, Zam and Anakin are getting their arms chopped off, Jango's getting beheaded, a few Geonosians are getting sliced and diced, an Acklay's guts get spilled, hundreds of Jedi go down, etc... And, as far as I know, all of this will be clearly shown, which was not the case in previous SW adventures.
    Again, this is not a problem for more mature viewers. But what about all the 4-year olds? Sure, they won't be able to reenact (sp?) Jango's beheading during play, so that's not a factor. I still think scenes like that might scare many kids though -- in a bad way, that is...
    I mean, take Jango for example. To us, he's merely a cool bad@**, but many little ones will view him as a Boba's *dad*. Consequently, the man getting his head chopped off in the arena will not be a bounty hunter but a *dad* A dad like theirs... And this, I think, could greatly scare some people...

Just yesterday, I overheard my 4-year old neighbor -- a fan of Harry Potter -- talking to his parents, saying he doesn't want them to "go away like Harry's mom and dad"... Stuff like that does scare kids, even when it's *not* handled as harshly as in AOTC...

Again, I know that's how the SW story goes and personally, I love it. But I'm wonderinge whether this installment -- and more than likely Ep. III -- are really suitable for pre-school kids...

What do you think, and, if you have kids, how would you handle it if your kids voiced fear after seeing the movie (or the trailers)?
    Last edited by Jedi Clint; 05-11-2002 at 03:09 PM.
    Yar Yar 4 Life!

Considering the film is rated PG (Parental Guidance suggested) I would recommend that a parent be present if they have sensitive kids. It's a good way to learn that things in this world aren't always pleasant.

Besides - the classic trilogy has at least 4 severed limbs, tauntaun innards being spilled, a decapitation, a Gammorrean Guard and skiff guards being eaten . . .

I agree, the wee ones should be fine. Granted some 'splaining might need to occur. Especially after Jango's "accident".
    "Two in the box, ready to go, we be fast, and they be slow!"
    Check out my art at The Terrace Room!

any film is ok for children as long as they are very quiet.

i tried to watch spiderman the other day with 2 babies, i'm talking newbornes, crying the whole way through.

Having worked in the theater business, I would recommed that a responsible adult ALWAYS accompany children under 12 to the movies. Even G rated movies. Children do not always stay put!

I personally always watch it first and then make the decision about the kids.Mine are 13,10,4,and almost 3.
    The three year old loves Star Wars but is afraid of Vader.I should say was.I bought her an Dagobah Vader with the removable head.She can hold it her hands and relate that to the movie as neither being real.
    I haven't seen it yet but I don't think it'll be any worse than any of the others.I've had to explain dead ewoks.They are cute and cuddly.Unlike Jango fett.I've also had to explain why Luke's dad is beating him up and then dies saving him.Tread lightly and try and get a handle on how each child may or may not react.I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir.Your posting of the question shows me you are concerned enough for your kids to know all this any way
    Bye to all.thanks for some good times.

dryanta,

ive seen it and i wouldnt take the younger ones. im sure most would agree with me that this is by far the most violent sw movie yet. if your reading this forum then you dont mind spoilers, there are more than a few body parts hacked off in by lightsabers in this film. if you think your kids can handle seeing half an arm and a head VISABILY removed from the owners then by all means........but be warmed.........

ps everything darth_vince mentioned above IS shown on screen, no implied violence like the case with maul...........
    J_n_G

Thanks for that JIG,
    I will make the decision after I've seen it.I really don't know yet.It may very well be a case of my kids missing it for a while.
    Thanks for the input
    Bye to all.thanks for some good times.

The film is the most violent to date. Plenty of Geo's get sliced in a number of ways, we know about the dismemberments. I should also say that the Nexu is quite frightening as a monster in a PG movie. See it first before you take your kids.

As for Zam's arm getting sliced it should be no problem . Luke's hand, and Ponda's arm in the cantina. However, I do agree that the Geo's and Jango's head coming out of the helmet may be a little to much for little ones. It just depends.
    Come vote in my Best Figure thread this Preview Month.