Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'm sure this is just TLG covering its own @$$. But still a lando would be nice.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Originally posted by JediTricks
    That's exactly the point of the yellow skin color on Lego minifigs - it doesn't matter where you come from, the yellow represents EVERYBODY rather than one group, so it's easy to identify with despite "racial" background.
    That's nice, but in my opinion it'd be much nicer for children of all races to have Lego men that are more representative of their race and culture. I think it would be better for the Lego company to try to teach children the value of diversity. The all yellow look doesn't really cut it for me, which WAS my point.

Lego feels that the value of unity is what they want to focus on - they want to focus on the similarities of mankind, not the differences. Lego is immensely popular outside the US in many different cultures, and this has been attributed in part to a lack of racial bias on Lego's part. Rather than making "Black" mini-figs and "White" mini-figs and "Asian" mini-figs and so on and so forth, every child can imagine him or herself as the yellow mini-figure no matter their skin color.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Lego should be focusing on the value of diversity - they should promote the fact that our society is made up of many different races that can coexist peacfully, and the should celebrate diversity, not promote conformity. Lego is immensely popular outside the US in many different cultures, and this SHOULD be attributed in part to a recognition of the world's many cultures on Lego's part. Rather than making "Yellow" mini-figs, every child should be able to celebrate him or herself as the race or culture they were born into.

RooJay, it's too late for LEGO to do that because if they DID make Lando (for example) in a color representative of Billy Dee Williams, then the yellow of the other figures does = the white skin tone of the actors who played Obi-Wan, Han, etc.

That's proven by JT's example of The Simpsons, where the existence of Officer Lou and Carl does make the Simpson family "white".

And as LTBasker pointed out regarding LEGO's yellow Native American characters, a "brown" Lando would automatically make those same characters "white".

Please LEGO, don't keep Lando away anymore!

There is no racial reason in Lego's philosophy. They've done
    brown faces already for their "duplo"-line.

______
    By the way: If there will be a Lando-smilie in the forums smilie-collection, will it be
    yellow or black?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colors.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	1926  

Originally posted by Caesar
    RooJay, it's too late for LEGO to do that because if they DID make Lando (for example) in a color representative of Billy Dee Williams, then the yellow of the other figures does = the white skin tone of the actors who played Obi-Wan, Han, etc.

That's proven by JT's example of The Simpsons, where the existence of Officer Lou and Carl does make the Simpson family "white".

And as LTBasker pointed out regarding LEGO's yellow Native American characters, a "brown" Lando would automatically make those same characters "white".

Please LEGO, don't keep Lando away anymore!
    I fully understand this. My point, however, still stands. Perhaps Lego should make Lando Brown. Then they should also make their white characters more light fleshtoned in color, and then they should make characters representative of other races. Europeans have the capacity of being every bit as racist as americans. The Lego company's failure to produce a Lando figure thus far could be construed by some as being evidence of this. I am not saying this is the case as far as Lego is concerned, but the lack of Lando this far into the line could be seen as indicating that Lego men aren't representative of darker skinned peoples. Yellow IS a LIGHT color. To some it may seem that the color yellow is much more closely representative of light colored skin. Why not varying shades of yellow then? Why are Lego men yellow anyway? Why not some other color? Why aren't Lego men gray? It could be said that the color gray could be seen as much more neutrally representative of all races. The native american characters from Lego are a poor example in my opinion. How often have native americans been portrayed on film by white actors? There is an extended tradition of this in popular culture. I might also point out that all the Lego characters that have been given hair have hairstyles that are most determinedly representative of straight haired peoples. The founders of the Lego company are most definitely white europeans. I think it's safe to assume also that most of Lego's designers are as well. Despite what many may cosider to be minor (even inconsequential) evidence to the contrary, I contend that Lego men are, or at least WERE originally, intended to represent only the white race of their european designers. While many baseline reactionaries may take offense to the move, I believe Lego should release "brown"(in varying shades) Lego men alongside their yellow Lego men in an effort to rectify their failure to recognize cultural diversity.
    This IS my opinion. While no one in this forum has outwardly implied that it is wrong, there does seem to be an intention to try to "correct" my opinion.

Thank you for posting that attachment N-2PF.

I don't know why this would be such a problem for Lego. We will need a Lando eventually, they can make him yellow like the rest, or give him a darker color. Either way, it would be popular.
    The force will be with you- always...

Because either way they do this, some group is going to complain about the avenue Lego takes which will be bad for their image. Nasty little catch-22, huh?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.