Question how does obi-wan get anikans lightsaber...

if it gets destroyed in the droid factory? does he make a new one?
    Sampsonite! i was way off!

There's no question that the one destroyed in the upcoming prequel is not the same saber as the one Luke receives from Obi-Wan Kenobi - though they are somewhat similar. The differences I've noticed are the emitter shroud, the activation box, the lower grip, and the belt connection point.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Anakin's lightsaber in AOTC looks more like Vader's ANH and ESB saber than the one Obi-Wan gave Luke in ANH. I'm assuming Anakin will have a lightsaber in Ep3 that resembles Luke's original saber.

Did you really think that Anakin would stand around for 4 years with no saber until Ep3 just because his got destroyed?

Originally posted by JediTricks
    The differences I've noticed are the emitter shroud, the activation box, the lower grip, and the belt connection point.
    One thing I've been curious about is the belt connections on Anakins Ep3 saber (the one Luke recieves) and Obi Wans presumably Ep3 saber (the one he has in ANH).

All of the lightsabers in the OT have a simple metal hoop on the bottom that lets it hang loose from any kind of small hook on the users belt. In the Prequels, they obviously used a totally different type of connection, where the fastener was located 1/3 of the way up the hilt, and once connected to the belt, the saber was held very tight.

Once I noticed the switch in Ep1 it was pretty obvious they did that because having a 2lb metal stick just hanging from your belt while you're running and flipping and fighting isn't very practical. Not to mention you'd get a serious bruise on your thigh from the thing hitting you over and over.

I wonder if the sabers Obi Wan and Anakin use in Ep3 will hang like in the OT, or if they will be fitted with the newer, standard Jedi clip?
    Wha'choo talkin 'bout Hasselhoff?

I think in the classic trilogy, they have a "d-ring" that's not a hoop shape, but a triangle.

I believe the prequel-backstory here is gonna be that the saber technology will advance enough to contain small recharge generators inside the hilt itself, doing away with the need for the more cumbersome recharge belt systems of the prequel era.

Also, on Vader's classic trilogy saber, the d-ring is up at the shroud instead of at the base, which is why his saber hangs right-side-up.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Anakin breaks 2 lighsbers in E2. His blue LS is broken in the Droid Factory. The green LS is sliced by Count Dooku.

I think in the classic trilogy, they have a "d-ring" that's not a hoop shape, but a triangle.
    True, I thought about that while I was typing but I didn't bother to correct myself.

I believe the prequel-backstory here is gonna be that the saber technology will advance enough to contain small recharge generators inside the hilt itself, doing away with the need for the more cumbersome recharge belt systems of the prequel era.
    Really? I didn't even know they recharged from the belts. Was that in one of the Visual Dictionarys?
    Wha'choo talkin 'bout Hasselhoff?

It was either the Ep 1 Visual Dictionary or this little tiny official book about the weaponry and gadgets of Ep 1. I think that little tiny book had mention of the "flashback seals" as well.