Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    8-track. Wow. Those are old school. I don't even remember them well. All I can recall is that, after they were played several times, you sorta heard all the songs at once.
    I have a stereo that has a cassette deck, an AM/FM radio, a turntable, AND an 8-track player. Have no idea if it still works, being that I have no 8-tracks. (Actually, I might have a SW soundtrack 8-track somewhere, but I won't chance messing that thing up, even if I could find it).

As for SS's age, I'd guess that he's older now than he was before.
    And now he's older than he's ever been
    And now he's even older
    And now he's even older
    And now he's even older
    He's older than he's ever been
    And now he's even older
    And now he's older still.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

SirSteve is so old, he hung out with Burger King when he was a prince

He is so old, he went to Pizza Hut when it was a tent.

He is so old, he farts dust.

Nothing but love for SirSteve,
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Mad props for SirSteve.
    Chest bump for SirSteve.
    Highly elaborate handshake ritual for SirSteve.
    Kind and well-written letter to the editor in the local newspaper for SirSteve.
    Quick nod of the head as one is walking by for SirSteve.
    Pointing with both index fingers like guns for SirSteve.
    A queenly parade wave for SirSteve.
    A for SirSteve.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post

But SW is 30 and so is the bulk of its fandom.
    That can't be accurate at all. Star Wars was released in 1977 which means that most of the target audience would have been born between about 1966 and 1973. I'm currently 38 and was in 2nd grade when the first movie hit screens and the toys were released. Much older than that and the toys weren't important. Much younger and the movie wouldn't have made much sense... until the re-releases post 1983.

If the bulk of Star Wars fandom matched the age of Star Wars ANH, then the bulk of the fans would have been newborns or less on opening day. I can't see the logic in that. Most of us "old-timers" were actually self-aware when the first tickets went on sale and the empty "gift" box was released at Christmas. Here-here to all fans everywhere, but it is those of us in our late thirties to early forties who can claim responsibility for supporting the initial merchandising efforts as well as a great deal of the movie's success.

In the SW scheme of things, 38 is about the same as 30. But Stillakid is correct, many fans are slightly older than exactly 30.

Don't forget that SW was such a hit, that in 1979 it was re-released in theaters before the 1980 release of ESB.

Thus you could have been born as early as 1974 and been able to understand a theatrical presentation of the movie in 1979 (and even attended - possibly in diapers - the 1977 releaase).

Also the toys were not out until 1978, so if they are ages 4 & up, 1974 would be a good birthdate for the bulk of the youngest Original OT fans.

Sure, if you're older you can be a fan. Everyone became a Star Wars fan in those days.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid View Post
    Here-here to all fans everywhere, but it is those of us in our late thirties to early forties....
    .....and perhaps a bit older .....who knew a good thing when they saw it!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    .....and perhaps a bit older .....who knew a good thing when they saw it!

Of course! But what I'm saying is that there was that age window where the majority of fans/toy-players-with would now be in their late thirties to early forties by now. Of course older fans were made the world-round, but they didn't generally run out to "collect" the toys the way that particular audience did. And after "we" locked the hobby into place, the younger whippersnappers came in to discover it all too.

I'm 35 going on 36. I saw ANH for the first time when I was 6 - it was about a year old. I feel like I'm the realm of having been the perfect age to be about as profoundly influenced by Star Wars as a person can be.

But then, I've always held an overly high opinion of myself.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

Quote Originally Posted by jjreason View Post
    But then, I've always held an overly high opinion of myself.
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond !

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid View Post
    Of course! But what I'm saying is that there was that age window where the majority of fans/toy-players-with would now be in their late thirties to early forties by now. Of course older fans were made the world-round, but they didn't generally run out to "collect" the toys the way that particular audience did. And after "we" locked the hobby into place, the younger whippersnappers came in to discover it all too.
    Gotcha! Excellent point!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!