Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

GL says midichlorians were the idea all along.

At TF.N they have an article in which GL describes how he created the midichlorians to restore the idea of the Force back to how he originally concieved it. He says that it was always meant to resemble genetics more than spirituality. He also says that it's unfair to judge the matter until everyone has seen Ep2 and 3.

Thoughts? Truth or revisionist history?

http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/tfn.cgi?storyID=12274
    Last edited by bigbarada; 09-13-2001 at 11:06 PM.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    "And Greedo was always supposed to shoot first..."

This is clearly revisioninst history because I have a taped PBS special with Bill Moyers where "GL" is talking about religion as metaphor in his Star Wars Trilogy after Phantom Menace came out...and he was still calling the Force a nondenominational "higher power" So either he's bunk, or he's senile. And I read a cool interview on www.thedigitalbits.com where they are talking to everybody at Lucasfilm from Georgie on down about the DVD. Anyway, he said he used to surf the net all the time, but got sick off all the BS and negativity so now he doesn't. Pretty cool.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

That's not the first time Lucas has done this, trying to change history to fit his events. I think he feels like since he has ultimate control of a company, that he has the right to change the past of that company and its products.

I don't believe Uncle George on this one for a second.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Well, obviously it's revisionist history. If he wants to produce some old notes or an old draft of the story that proves that it was an old idea then fine. Otherwise, all the evidence points to the contrary.

What's more interesting is that our messages actually seem to get through the castle walls. Who knows which messages or threads that he ever read or when, but clearly enough people bagged on the Midichlorians that he recognizes the need to address the issue. Too little, too late I think. But, whatever.

I was hoping the topic would be ignored in the next two films, just to keep it from getting even more goofy. Guess not!

I've never really had a problem with the midichlorians, since the Force was never really the most interesting aspect of SW to me. I've always liked the battles and the vehicle designs and the costume designs best. Plus, I would prefer that further explanation be given to them rather than just abandon the idea, leaving TPM flapping in the wind. If GL says he wants the Force to mirror genetics then fine, it's been no secret that Luke was never just your average farmboy. Plus if you look at most mythology, the hero is very rarely an average Joe. Some of the most popular mythological characters are so much more than human. For instance: Hercules-half god/half human; Thor-god; King Arthur-divinely appointed king. Even modern mythology, comic book heroes, very rarely start out as average humans. So, if GL feels the need to rewrite history, as it seems, then let him do it. It's his story and we expect him to craft it as best he can so if he must muck with the pre-established elements then let's just hope the finished product is worth it.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Originally posted by bigbarada
    It's his story and we expect him to craft it as best he can so if he must muck with the pre-established elements then let's just hope the finished product is worth it.
    Though I'll agree to disagree on Luke being more than human as we saw him in 1977, I'll give a "here, here" to the above portion ... primarily because we have no choice. He has no choice but to give a really really good explanation of these things and just a wee bit more magic so that we "complainers" can find some way to weave the ridiculous idea into the original trilogy as we know it...that is to say, unless he decides to CGI Midis into the DVD releases of the original trilogy.

Suffice it to say, he wrote himself into a corner, thought we'd be stupid enough to not notice, and is fighting his way back out.

If you look at ANH all by itself and with no knowledge of any other episodes or SE's, then yes I understand how he could be an average, highly-gifted farmboy. However, in ESB once we saw him use the Force to pull his lightsaber to him in the Wampa cave, then everyone knew there was something special (almost para-normal) about him.

Originally posted by bigbarada
    If you look at ANH all by itself and with no knowledge of any other episodes or SE's, then yes I understand how he could be an average, highly-gifted farmboy. However, in ESB once we saw him use the Force to pull his lightsaber to him in the Wampa cave, then everyone knew there was something special (almost para-normal) about him.
    But that was after he received some rudimentary training from Ben. I'm sure that some others will have more "detailed" information regarding the span of time between ANH and ESB, but the assumption (I believed) has always been that he trained on his own for that period. Aside from the fact that he actually had success in telekinesis, all we knew back then is that he was "strong with the Force" and that he had a crash course in how to use it. This doesn't necessarily imply that he was really that much more special than anybody else. He just had the desire and motivation to learn where others didn't.

The only loophole might be that "strong with the Force" thing, but again, precedent was set that the Force was a mystical energy field surrounding and created by ALL living things. This would imply that anybody has access to it if they wanted. For an unknown reason, some people had more access than others. This could be construed as a door for the Midichlorians to step through, however any reasonable storyteller would hardly forget to drop such an important element into the plotline when any sort of teaching went on. There was plenty of opportunity to mention these things in ANH, ESB, and ROTJ and not once was there even a scant hint of them. Any suggestion to the contrary, even by the creator, is crazy.

Put it this way: if he did intend them all along, that makes the original trilogy a poorly told story because he left such an important element out. If he didn't invent them until the late 1990's, then that makes TPM a poorly told story as it conflicts with the original precedent. Either way, he screwed up somewhere.

He can say whatever he wants to. It's his story. Like BigBarada, I never thought the Force was all that important to me. I mean- yeah... it is the basis for the heroes' power in the OT and NT, but that was not the primary aspect in why I enjoyed these films. Besides... I just ignore the midichlorian thing and move on.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**