Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Media madness and relations with our Arabic-American community...

This is a two-parter and I don't mean to offend, but I am feeling very critical about the media right at this point.

I hate to say this, but I wish the "special reports" would go away for awhile. All they are doing is replaying the same scraps of footage and information over and over again. Enough already!!! These reports are no longer "special". Go away and break when there is something to report!

I was so PO'd when I saw a reporter look into the camera and say, "We've been trying to talk to rescue workers to see if there are any updates, but no one is willing to talk with us." Well... DUH!!!! Of course they aren't willing to talk with you! They are out there to do a job... to hopefully find any survivors or to identify the remains of those who perished. They are working against time (fear of further collapsing buildings). I think that it is tragic that we must be fed all of this information when there really is no more to be had at this moment.

I have been praying and meditating on the events- for the survivors (that includes the families who have lost someone) of this travesty. I have continued to live my life to honour those who can no longer do so. I refuse to sit in front of the telly like some mindless zombie watching the horror unfold time and time again with little change in information.

Watching this video will not bring back lives or make us feel any worse that this happened. This is too much and the news networks need to get a clue. Come back when there is something substantial to report. Come back once every half hour if you must to recap any updates from that half hour. That is all we need at the moment.

Also... if the news is here to inform and educate us... how about a nice continuing report on sensitivity and ethics- like, don't go smacking the Arabic-American citizens around because they are here WITH us and not AGAINST us!!! Give them a reason to stand up with us against their native counterparts!!! We need this solidarity now... not a fracturing of the nation, which is exactly what is happening. This is the sort of mentality that causes our country to be weak. This is where we need to focus- since most of us aren't going abroad to fight any battles. We need to do our part here. I, for one, am considering going to a couple of my Arabic-American neighbours houses to let them know that I will stand behind them no matter what as they deserve their freedom and safety as well. I suggest that those who can- follow suit.

Peace be with you all.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    President-Emiritus Clinton was in New York and was remarking on the Muslims and Arabs who live in New York who were weeping along side everyone else. This was not a race or a religion that attacked us. It was individuals. These individuals should die. But to react upon somebody who looks like the individuals responsible is wrong. I think most people realize this. One of my professors at school is from that region(ethnically) and he was noticing that people were actually more open and honest and polite to him than they were before the tragedy.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

You may want to tell that to the Arabic lady in Boston who got beat up by some guys yesterday... or the people who worship at the Mosque that got shot up in TX... or the restaurant owner who was beat up here in Cleveland... along with all of the rocks that have been thrown at shop windows and pedestrians...

sad.

Re: Media madness and relations with our Arabic-American community...

Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
    I hate to say this, but I wish the "special reports" would go away for awhile. All they are doing is replaying the same scraps of footage and information over and over again. Enough already!!! These reports are no longer "special". Go away and break when there is something to report!
    Gotto agree there, Even though Im not in the US, There has been hardly no normal shows, Its just been the same fottage over and over again, And its worse than Jar Jar himself!
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

I don't have cable or satellite television so it makes me hate these reports even more. They're on 24/7. and won't stop. They just keep repeating the same stuff we've heard a billion times already.

JEDIpartnr, you are a righteous human being and I thank you for it!

Here in Wisconsin, there were threats made against an Islamic school in Milwaukee. I have also heard of these other horror stories as well. But I still keep faith over those real patriots who are reaching out to our fellow citizens. Just today they countered this school threat report with a local Arab American leader who noted that the positive instances of support have far outnumbered the negatives. I pray it continues.

The same thing with those bozos Robertson and Falwell. After they were quoted as saying all those rotten things, they tried to tell everybody they had been "misunderstood' or the KKK that tried to march on and burn down a mosque in Illinois before 300 cops showed up to stand around the mosque and protect it. these jerk offs are as bad as the people responsible for the Tragedy.

Originally posted by Caesar
    Here in Wisconsin, there were threats made against an Islamic school in Milwaukee. I have also heard of these other horror stories as well. But I still keep faith over those real patriots who are reaching out to our fellow citizens. Just today they countered this school threat report with a local Arab American leader who noted that the positive instances of support have far outnumbered the negatives. I pray it continues.
    A lot of Arab people here are getting bashed,their stores ruined its awlfull!
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

The coverage has been too much, especially from Thursday on when the networks had nothing new to report and were just rehashing the carnage and interviewing "experts" and politicals who were weighing in with their 2 worthless cents. I couldn't believe some of the politicals I saw on Tuesday who were actually using this tragedy to further their political agendas - talk about sleazy!

The one that really got me though was yesterday morning. Here it is Saturday morning, a time when kids get up and sit in front of the tv by themselves for hours without parental supervision, and while most networks in my area were showing regular programming, Fox 11 here was simply patched in to the Fox News cable channel feed. Fox 11 has the most-watched cartoons here in LA last I heard, and for them to continue showing scary images and people's words of anger while they knew kids were likely to tune in without parental supervision was intolerable IMO.

However, on the other hand, ABC put on a special 2-hour commercial-free special with Peter Jennings talking to a large room full of kids and a few adults about the tragedies. He mostly just listened to what the kids had to say, and let them respond to each other, and only occasionally let the expert-types adults (from military to psychology to pilot) chime in with points about what the kids' were saying. It was engrossing and yet never preachy, it felt natural and honest, and I really gained a lot of respect for ABC over that one.

As for the hatred against brown people, I feel awful for anybody from the middle east or even india are being targeted by ignorant fools giving in to their anger and hatred. I think the US gov't should make good on the "war on terrorism" and bust these Americans (or whomever, I hear it's not a good idea to be Arabian in Canada right now) who commit terrorist actions against others - because that's what this type of stuff is when you shoot up a mosque in Texas and the like, it's terrorism.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I am so grateful to see the periodic forums on the telly- ones like the ABC forum JediTricks spoke of. These are the things we must concentrate on now. How do we deal with the tragedy- how does it affect our children? How do we explain the news to them and tell them not to be afraid when we ourselves flinch at the images that flash across our screens?

I saw a report last week- a young woman was going to get married in spite of her stepfather's death last week. He was in one of the planes that went into the WTC. They spoke to the wife and the daughter who was to get married. They said this was the best way to honour his life... to continue living and throw that into the faces of the enemy- to send the message that we shall continue to live and love in spite of the adversity.

-----

And still... more reports come in. This morning I heard that a 29 year old man drove his car into the front entry on an Isalmic Centre here in Cleveland. Does this not mirror last week's tragedy?

This past weekend... a man and his friend were at dinner and a patron of the restaurant came to the table and asked him if they were there to plant a bomb. I saw this report on the local news last night.

When will we learn...?

-----

One last thing... I WAS able to make it to couple neighbours yesterday and they thanked me for my words and support. One lady even started to cry because she was so touched by my actions. I gave her a huge hug and told her I was glad she and her family were here with us in the USA. It's this freedom to love that makes me glad to be alive and to be an American.
    Last edited by JEDIpartner; 09-17-2001 at 08:49 AM.