Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Agreed. It now appears this tragedy is being used as justification for censorship.
    ubi mel ibi apes

If you haven't seen the list of songs that were "suggested" to be taken off the playlists of Clear Channel's station, it's good for a laugh. "Killer Queen?" Who's going to associate that with this incident? "St. Elmo's Fire?" Just because it has the word "fire" in the title? "Ruby Tuesday" because these events happened on a Tuesday? "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" by the Beatles? I don't even know what to think of that one. Basically, they don't want their stations to play anything aggressive, anything that mentions planes, falling, jumping, death, arabs, the middle east, the sky, travelling, or sorrow. And some of them make no sense at all. To see the site, go to http://www.####edcompany.com/extras/...nel_email.cfm, but replace the #'s with a word that's not appropriate here.

Another funny thing is that they reccomend not playing ANY of Rage Against the Machine's catalog. I understand what they're getting at, but I still think it's kind of funny.

Originally posted by Obi-Dan Kenobi
    "Killer Queen?" Who's going to associate that with this incident?
    Well, I've heard from disreputable sources that terrorists keep Moet et Chandon in a pretty cabinet and say, "Let them eat cake," just like Marie Antoinette.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Marie Antoinette?

didn't she get her head chopped off eventually? Or am I thinking of some other French notable?
    Last edited by Fulit; 09-20-2001 at 04:37 PM.
    Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis

Hmmm, I wonder if The Cure's song, "Killing an Arab" is on the list. I hear that one was pretty popular during Desert Storm.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Originally posted by bigbarada
    Hmmm, I wonder if The Cure's song, "Killing an Arab" is on the list. I hear that one was pretty popular during Desert Storm.
    Yeah, I've thought of that too. That's one song I could really understand taking off of playlists.

I think I remember hearing a story of how The Cure was afraid to come out of their hotel room, just after the release of that song, because there was an Arabian man just standing outside staring at them.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Well, I caught the first few minutes of a syndicated rerun of Friends this weekend, and IIRC, the opening shot of the titles shows the NY skyline from the ground and the WTC was in the background... only it's not now. It was a weird thing to see, I went back on the tape over and over because it FELT unnatural to have a different scene in that place, though if they digitally removed the buildings, they did a fine job of it from a technical aspect.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I caught a few minutes of Back to the Future on Saturday. I didn't see the beginning or end, so I don't know how they addressed it, but the references to Iranian terrorists in the letter Marty writes were removed (silenced out and airbrushed when we see the letter). I hope it's only something NBC did for this airing, and not something that'll be deleted on next year's DVD.

Are we supposed to deny that we as a nation were a tad afraid of Iranian terrorists in 1985? That Iranian terrorists hijacked planes 20 years ago? This is going way too far.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Originally posted by El Chuxter
    I caught a few minutes of Back to the Future on Saturday. I didn't see the beginning or end, so I don't know how they addressed it, but the references to Iranian terrorists in the letter Marty writes were removed (silenced out and airbrushed when we see the letter). I hope it's only something NBC did for this airing, and not something that'll be deleted on next year's DVD.

Are we supposed to deny that we as a nation were a tad afraid of Iranian terrorists in 1985? That Iranian terrorists hijacked planes 20 years ago? This is going way too far.
    Would that be the first movie or the 3rd???

Plus I think they have gone to far with removing it from everything!
    Last edited by GNT; 09-25-2001 at 01:27 AM.
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious