View Poll Results: Which is your favorite Star Wars movie Now?

Voters
1739. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Phantom Menace

23 1.32%
  • Attack of the Clones

568 32.66%
  • A New Hope

170 9.78%
  • The Empire Strikes Back

807 46.41%
  • Return of the Jedi

171 9.83%
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Stillakid, I think your career in movies is preventing you from really being able to enjoy these films. They're not meant to be scrutinized so thoroughly; they're live-action, Saturday morning cartoons. In any case, I don't know of any movie that doesn't fall apart under your "one misplaced word can change everything" attitude. Reading your comments makes me glad that I have no interest in the film industry. I enjoy watching movies and want to continue to enjoy them. And ANH wasn't so good that all the other movies deserve to be ripped apart for it. There are plenty of nonsense lines and inconsistencies in that film if you really want to go digging for them. However, I don't. I prefer to just sit back and see it for what it is.

Anyways, I'm not terribly attached to my "Padme/lust" theory so I don't mind it being shot down. It's just something that popped into my head while watching the movie for the first time. Who knows maybe I'll stick with it, maybe I won't?

Originally posted by bigbarada
    Stillakid, I think your career in movies is preventing you from really being able to enjoy these films. They're not meant to be scrutinized so thoroughly; they're live-action, Saturday morning cartoons. In any case, I don't know of any movie that doesn't fall apart under your "one misplaced word can change everything" attitude. Reading your comments makes me glad that I have no interest in the film industry. I enjoy watching movies and want to continue to enjoy them. And ANH wasn't so good that all the other movies deserve to be ripped apart for it. There are plenty of nonsense lines and inconsistencies in that film if you really want to go digging for them. However, I don't. I prefer to just sit back and see it for what it is.

You could be right. Perhaps I am "ruined." But ruined from what? From opening my eyes to see what lies beneath the glossy surface? Is remaining naive to the intricacies of story somehow preferable to studying the detail and looking for a deeper appreciation and understanding of what the filmmaker was trying to say? These weren't meant to be as illogical as a Saturday morning cartoon (ie, Wile E Coyote getting squashed by a steamroller) or as cheesy as classic B-movies, but they apparently were intended to embody the fun we felt from watching them while utilizing the best kind of fictional writing that modern authors can muster. The irony is that I am seeing these films for what they really are, not what I want them to be.

Originally posted by stillakid
    Is remaining naive to the intricacies of story somehow preferable to studying the detail and looking for a deeper appreciation and understanding of what the filmmaker was trying to say?
    Sure why not? Actually I can relate to your problem on one level. I have studied comic book art for over 15 years now and have begun to develop my own drawing style. However, the downside is that I can never look at the art in a comic with that wide-eyed childhood wonder again. I'm always picking other artist's work apart in order to figure out what they were trying to accomplish by using that close-up or this "camera" angle. So because of this, my enjoyment of comics is nearly non-existent nowadays.

Star Wars is the last bastion of my childhood that I haven't allowed to be tainted by adult sensibilities. I'm not worried about what GL is trying to say in his movies, because he has stated time and again that he isn't trying to say anything. He's just having fun and I am more than willing to go along for the ride.

When Ep3 is released and it is all over then I will move on with the rest of my life and close this chapter. Until then I just want to enjoy it. Is that so hard to understand?

Sure why not? Actually I can relate to your problem on one level. I have studied comic book art for over 15 years now and have begun to develop my own drawing style. However, the downside is that I can never look at the art in a comic with that wide-eyed childhood wonder again. I'm always picking other artist's work apart in order to figure out what they were trying to accomplish by using that close-up or this "camera" angle. So because of this, my enjoyment of comics is nearly non-existent nowadays.

Star Wars is the last bastion of my childhood that I haven't allowed to be tainted by adult sensibilities. I'm not worried about what GL is trying to say in his movies, because he has stated time and again that he isn't trying to say anything. He's just having fun and I am more than willing to go along for the ride.

When Ep3 is released and it is all over then I will move on with the rest of my life and close this chapter. Until then I just want to enjoy it. Is that so hard to understand?

Not at all! I can relate to the comic book thing, but from the other side. I've never been a real comic book reader, but I was "attracted" to Danger Girl (hmm, wonder why? ) I loved it. Every part of it. So I asked a friend of mine, who is a huge huge comic book fan and artist to look at it. He HATED it. Tore it apart in ways I hadn't even dreamed of. No matter. I still enjoy it "for what it offers me." Now I'm starting to sound like you! Anyway, the postlude of story is that I asked that guy to show me an example of something that he thinks is really great. I'm still waiting for it, but I'm willing to hear him out. Will it change the way I view Danger Girl? Maybe, but I try to be open and understand what he's saying in hopes that maybe I can appreciate "comic books" on an entirely different level rather than just going ga ga over the sexy babes.

Originally posted by stillakid
    Not at all! I can relate to the comic book thing, but from the other side. I've never been a real comic book reader, but I was "attracted" to Danger Girl (hmm, wonder why? ) I loved it. Every part of it. So I asked a friend of mine, who is a huge huge comic book fan and artist to look at it. He HATED it. Tore it apart in ways I hadn't even dreamed of. No matter. I still enjoy it "for what it offers me." Now I'm starting to sound like you! Anyway, the postlude of story is that I asked that guy to show me an example of something that he thinks is really great. I'm still waiting for it, but I'm willing to hear him out. Will it change the way I view Danger Girl? Maybe, but I try to be open and understand what he's saying in hopes that maybe I can appreciate "comic books" on an entirely different level rather than just going ga ga over the sexy babes.
    I don't like J. Scott Campbell's artwork on Danger Girl, either. He obviously learned to draw solely from aping other comic artists and never really took the time to study anatomy himself.

I will provide an example of what I consider great comic art. From a totally cool book called HeroBear and the Kid. Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails herobearand thekid.jpg  

I don't like J. Scott Campbell's artwork on Danger Girl, either. He obviously learned to draw solely from aping other comic artists and never really took the time to study anatomy himself.

I will provide an example of what I consider great comic art. From a totally cool book called HeroBear and the Kid. Enjoy!
    That was pretty good. I had trouble reading the words with the lower resolution problems, but the art was good. A vastly different style than DG. I thought that the people in DG were "accurate"(?), at least in terms of a kind of, I don't know how to put it, a "sexual realism." (if that makes sense) In other words, they all seem anatomically correct.

I like J. Scott Campbell's artwork. I've followed him since his days on Gen 13. Granted some of it is a little unrealsitic, but then again these are comics and almost everything in them is unrealistic. By the way stillakid I read Danger Girl also, supposedly there is a movie on the way. I think they are trying to get Sean Connery to be in it.

Other artists I admire are Michael Turner, Todd McFarlane, and Joseph Madierua. I mainly got into Madiera when he started on X-Men, plus I really like his Battle Chasers series (which he NEEDS to start getting out again) even although Red Monika is OVERLY EXAGERATED if you know what I mean. Followed Michael Turner since his days on Witchblade. McFarlane I got interested in during his days on Spider-man. There are other artists I admire, but to many to list. These are the main ones though.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand.
    "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."

LOVE THEM ALL!

Myself personally I can respect that many fans want to know what they, and others think is the best movie, in a order, but I look at it as if you had 5 kids could you SAY which is your favorite, NO. Myself I like them ALL, equally. I was never that impressed/shocked that Luke's father was Vader at the end of "Empire." But I can respect the fact that other fans want to rate them.

I liked:

Jar Jar

Jake Lloyds "Anakin Skywalker" :happy:

The Ewoks

Muppets in all the movies

The Names of The Last Two Movies "The Phantom Menace & Attack of the Clones"

I agree, Bezelbub. Ranking the movies is really kind of stupid, as is trying to determine the fan favorite with these easily corrupted polls. Didn't anybody else notice how ANH and ROTJ matched each other vote for vote from single digits all the way up to 115? Looks like a blatant example of tampering to me. Too bad some fans are so invested in the OT, and only the OT, that they can't stand the idea that other fans like the prequels better. Maybe I should flood the poll to give TPM a better standing than 17 votes.

No offense, SithDroid, but I really am not too impressed with any of the artists you mentioned. They all have a quality of sameness to them. My favorite artists: Mike Kunkel (Herobear), Jeff Smith, Alex Ross, Mike Allred, Mike Mignola, Steve Ditko and Jack Kirby. Although I must give credit to Todd McFarlane and Jim Lee for getting me interested in comic book art in the first place, but I must say, fame has made them lazy.

Whats important!

I am glad you agree with me bigbarada. It's in some ways its a neat poll, but every body from Big Star Wars Fans ------ entertainment time passbyers, most likely to has some problem with each(all the movies).

Some people have a problems with the script, the dialoge, the aliens, sterotypes, what does and doesn't belong in each movie, I could go on and on...

I mean one of my favorite movies is "Dawn of the Dead" my only real problem with it is one thing that is inconsitant in the plot. That is after(all the people who haven't see it might not know what I'm talking about) Peter and Roger are in the basement of the slum building the one legged priest says that another part of the basement is where the dead are stored. Next the S.W.A.T. team begins to bang on the boaded up wall; then the next thing all those Zombies just rush past them. They just passed up on a free meal with out any explaination in the story. I would have to say it IS practially flawless other than that.

And I think that TPM didn't have anything wrong with that movie. Zero, Zip, Zelch!

I just hope Lucas creates Episode III the way HE wants it to be, and isn't affected by what SOME fans say or complain.