Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Rubies EP II Lightsabers?

ANyone know if Rubies is planning on selling EP II lightsabers? Their sabers are especially cool. My favorite saber to date is the version II Rubies Obi-wan saber. It has the look and feel of an actual saber. The proportions seem to be 100% accurate. Look at the detail! Also, the second versions feature a locking rin to keep the saber blade inside the handle. I was able to find both versions of Obi-wan's and Darth Maul's but was never able to find the second version of qui gon's saber. ANyone have an extra?
    BTW, when I last searched Rubies there was no mention of the sabers.
    YODA: "The FORCE is strong with you Master Windex.
    "Windows so clean, never have I seen!"
    Remember Herbie the Love Bug? Visit him online at www.HERBIEMANIA.com

I have no clue as to what Rubies is, but since Master Replicas is doing all the "authentic" props now, I wouldn't imagine that any other company could get a license to make stuff like that.

Good traders/sellers: pthfnder89, jjreason, bobafett07728, TK421, Lord Tenebrous, DahrJin, baby 01, Lman316, jonboy, swfreaker

Rubies is the costume company that produces a lot of Star Wars stuff. For Episode one they made Darth maul, QUi-gon and Obiwan costumes and lightsabers. They also did Jar Jar, Queen Amidala, etc. This company also sells various Star Wars Masks. The sabers are cool if you haven't yet seen them. The second versions are as true to life that a plastic saber can get. They had locking blades so you could hang the saber on a belt and they do light up (no sounds). Best yeat they cost less than $10 new! Beats $200 for a replica handle!

Ah...maybe they could still do 'em then, but they just have no plans as of yet. The kind of person who would pay $200 for a MR lightsabre isn't the same type of person who would be content with a $10 plastic version so I guess there wouldn't be a problem if they were both producing sabres

Good traders/sellers: pthfnder89, jjreason, bobafett07728, TK421, Lord Tenebrous, DahrJin, baby 01, Lman316, jonboy, swfreaker

Trust me, I am a huge fan and would shell out the $200 plus if I had it to spare for a "real" metal saber. The thing is that the 2nd edition Rubies were as real as you could get in plastic NO MATTER what the cost. They are scaled perfect (Obi-wan) and look great.

I'm not knocking you for buying a $10 plastic replica. I'm just saying that the target customer for Master Replicas is different than the target customer for Rubies, therefore they could both be allowed to produce AOTC sabres with no problems, since they really aren't making comparable products. A $200 metal sabre is not the same as a $10 plastic sabre, and vice versa.

Or, even if you forget about cost for a minute, or you say that the Rubies sabre is a super badass highly detailed as good as you can get in plastic version, it's still not "movie-authentic" as it isn't metal, and I think movie-authentic is the main appeal of Master Replicas. So like I said, different markets, different target customers.

Yeah, you are correct. But for those on a budget (like me) we really have limited choices, don't we?

Yes, we do. For example, I really, really, really want the Lego Tantive IV, but not for $200.00

Anyway, maybe Rubies is a little skittish about making a lot of AOTC merchandise after the TPM merchandising fiasco....so many stores are still trying to get rid of stuff. No idea if Rubies had similar problems.

Originally posted by Forhekset
    Yes, we do. For example, I really, really, really want the Lego Tantive IV, but not for $200.00

Anyway, maybe Rubies is a little skittish about making a lot of AOTC merchandise after the TPM merchandising fiasco....so many stores are still trying to get rid of stuff. No idea if Rubies had similar problems.
    I think maybe Rubies wasn't approved for a license for AOTC this year. Lucasfilm scaled way back on the merchandising since TPM so they may have opted out of costumes.

I know exactly what you are talking about Mace Windex. I have both the Rubies Obi Wan and the Darth Maul, each with the lockable handles, and they really are very nice.

Forhekset - Rubies primarily produced costumes for TPM and the sold their lightsabers seperately. I think it's kind of funny, because by classifying it as part of a halloween costume, they weren't technically infringinf on the toy license that Hasbro paid so dearly for. So they were both marketing different versions of the same product.

The Rubis lightsabers were, as Windex said, MUCH more accurate than the Hasbro sabers. They had lights, but no sound, however the blades retracted ALL the way into the hilt; they didn't leave a part sticking out like Hasbros. They were made of a bit thinner and cheaper plastic (especially the blade) but overall I think they are far superior the ones by Hasbro.
    Wha'choo talkin 'bout Hasselhoff?