Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Comic Book Films?

What do you all think is the best ever movie based on a comic book, superhero or otherwise?

My personal favorite superhero flick is Batman Returns, but I believe that Tim Burton's first Batman film takes the cake as accuracy goes. Some other honorable mentions include the Superman series, the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles flick, X-men (although it managed to screw up the continuity completley, i still loved it) and Spiderman. Some of the ones that sucked include Dick Tracy, the Phantom, Joel Schumacher's Batman flicks, and The Punisher.
    http://www.geocities.com/madscientist2787

The original Superman flick is the best. I have yet to see Spider-Man, so I can't comment on that one. The Crow and MIB were really good too.

I haven't liked a single movie in the Batman series yet. Unfortunately the best casting choice for Bruce Wayne (George Clooney) ended up in the stupidest of the movies.

If I had to pick one, I would have to say that the Captain America movie was the worst of all time. So bad it went straight to video. Same with the Fantastic Four movie; but I haven't had the "honor" of seeing that one.

Comic Book movies I would like to see made (what I originally thought this thread was going to be about):

Maus: A Survivor's Tale (the only comic book to win the Nobel Prize for literature, should be an animated film)
    Bone (should also be animated)
    Marvels
    Kingdom Come
    Watchmen (these last three I'd want to see only if they were done right with complete accuracy to the source material)
    Madman
    HeroBear and the Kid (would be an awesome Disney style animated flick, think 'Iron Giant meets Calvin & Hobbes')
    Hellboy

I liked Dick Tracy, as well as The Shadow - both are considered dreck by many. If I had to choose "best", I'd probably go with Spider-Man, followed closely by Batman -- they both capture a very specific "comic book" feeling without falling into the problems many comic book movies fall into. I like Blade a lot, but I think it goes beyond the comic book feeling so while I actually like it as much as Batman, I don't think it's really as good of a comic book movie. I never cared for the Superman or TMNT movies that much, but they're nowhere near as bad as The Punisher or that awful Captain America film.

Anybody see Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.E.I.L.D., a TV movie from a few years ago? That was pretty rank, and David Hasselhoff was playing the title role!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    I would LOVE a Bone movie. But live action with CGI Bones. (like Caspar) The whole series has an epic quality to it. I would like to see Miller's Dark Knight Returns on the big screen. And a really good Iron Man movie.

Best Comic movies? Spider-Man and SuperMan had that flashy colorful comic book style. And who doesn't get the urge to yell "up, up and away" when they hear John Williams awesome score?

The Crow, X-Men, and the first Burton Batman had a dark gritty feel that I enjoyed. Batman Returns had its good points (like Catwoman) and its bad, (pengiuns with rockets, DeVito as the penguin, Chris Walken...)

Batman Forever has been downgraded to utter schlock after I watched it again the other day. And Batman &Robin is the worst comic book movie ever. You might say Capt. America or Fantastic Four or Punisher. But those were made for peanuts and had no pretensions about being high minded films. B&R aspired and demended to be good, so it sucked all the more.

One final note. Bill Bixby as David Banner. What a wonderful portrayal of a haunted character. And I love the melancholy piano riff that ended each show. I hope they manage to work that haunting melody into the movie somewhere.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

As a Bat fan I didn't like any of the BAt fims.Big disapointment to a life long fan.
    I liked Blade but never read the comic.All time best so far?Superman.
    Worst? Punisher.
    Miller should do the dark knight returns on film true to the series.It would be awesome!!
    I'd like to see Kingdom Come as well,but I think the two movies would confuse every one too much.
    Bye to all.thanks for some good times.

Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
    And Batman &Robin is the worst comic book movie ever. You might say Capt. America or Fantastic Four or Punisher. But those were made for peanuts and had no pretensions about being high minded films. B&R aspired and demended to be good, so it sucked all the more.
    That's the same reasoning I hold when I choose Speed 2: Cruise Control as worst film ever.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

hey E.P.,

why in the tv show was banner called david, while in the comic he's called bruce?

i was a big hulk fan when it was on tv. i too hope they can capture some of that for the movie. and eric bana seems like a cool guy. i hope the CG hulk looks ok.

one thing i know for sure, with the success of spiderman and the x-men, we are guaranteed to get a new batman and superman films. hopefully they will take a clue from marvel and do the films justice.

big barada,

i too thought clooney was the best casting choice for batman. i would of liked to see him in the original.

jeditricks,

speed 2 was bad, but i still think streetfighter with van damn hold's the title of worst movie ever. did you see speed 2? i thought i recall you posted you didn't see it?

I saw Speed 2 the same day I saw Batman & Robin... I chose Speed 2 over B&R, that should tell you something. Street Fighter is bad, but if you take the game out of the equation, it pretty much sets out to do what it wants. Speed 2 can't even get that across.

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    Well, this could be rumor, but I think TV executives were worried the name "Bruce" had certain "undesirable" overtones. They thought it sounded G A Y. I know, I know...but it was the 70's so who knows what goes through their minds? So they changed it to David. In the first or second issue they called Broce "Bob"so they worked it into continuity that his full name was Robert Bruce Banner and his fathers name was David if I remember correctly.

JT, Speed 2 was the most boring "action" movie I have ever seen.

"Oh no, were going 12 miles an hour! We only have 45 minutes to turn the ship ever so slightly to avoid another ship! We must slow the ship down one mile per hour every ten minutes or a pier will get smashed!" YAWN.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

Best Overall adaptation: Spider-Man
    Movie that was better than the comics: Blade/Blade II (movie character was much cooler and more intriguing than the character from the books)

Other really good ones:
    From Hell
    Crow
    Burton Batman
    Superman I & II

Dick Tracy and The Shadow were also really good (wasn't the Shadow a Radio show, not a comic?)

I'm interested in the upcoming Hulk and Daredevil flicks, and hope we get a really great Batman.

Some comics that will never translate to a good movie;

Avengers
    JLA
    Watchmen
    Kingdom Come

Just about any "Team" book won't translate well, due to the mass amounts of characters compared to the small length of a movie.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."