Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TPM a better film?

Do you think Attack Of The Clones makes The Phantom Menace a better film?

I think TPM is a poor film as a stand alone, but with AOTC many of the questions have been answered and explained. I'd still give it my original rating of 7/10 but I think it is a better film to watch and enjoy knowing that Attack of the Clones comes after it.

Do you think it's better now AOTC was a success?

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

i'm just curious, but what questions were answered? the guy from "ain't it cool news" said the same thing.

I liked the movie from the beginning but like it more now that I've seen it a couple of times more and like you said pendo it is better with AOTC cause it's not that alone-standing with the new cgi characters and stuff
    still AOTC is much better

No, as much as I try I still can't think of anything from AotC that really makes sense of TPM. It also doesn't help that the movies are so different in flavour. TPM is still way too juvenile for me.

IMO, AOTC actually makes Ep 1 a worse film in a couple of ways:

- Ep 2 is needed to make Ep 1 make sense;
    - Ep 2 really doesn't need much from Ep 1 to make sense.

I may not love Ep 2, but I think it's a better stand-alone film than Ep 1. Ep 1 is on shakey ground and doesn't contribute all that much to Ep 2, as I see it. Ep 1 may fit better into the saga thanks to Ep 2, but I think that statement makes Ep 1 a worse movie.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

TMP isn't a better film cause of ATOC, even though I liked both except Jar Jar in TMP, I think ATOC would have been a better starting point with brief and I mean brief visual outline of Anakin being found and brought to the Jedi council.Then resume where ATOC starts off.
    THANKS FOR THE AT-TE & FALCON HASBRO. NOW IT'S TIME FOR A LARGE TANTIVE IV!

I disagree JediTricks. E1 set alot of things up for Episode II. Here is just a few examples of things that carry on into E2's story.

Anakin's relationship with his mother, had we not seen how happy the two of them were, even though they were slaves, we wouldn't have as much emotional impact when Shmi dies in E2.

Jar Jar Bink's heroism and assistance to the Jedi's and Naboo, leading to him being appointed a Senator that gives Palpatine his Emergancy powers, changing the galaxy drastically.

Qui-Gon's death being the final straw to Dooku, and him leaving the order. Why he joined up with Sidious is unknown, perhaps he wanted to make the galxy a better place, and felt that the Jedi's were to arrogent for to be part of the change.

Palpatine and Anakin's relationship, it all began with Palpatine stating he was going to keep a close eye on young Anakin. Now in Episode II he's become somewhat of a father figure, or mentor for the now grown up Anakin.

Obi-Wan showing his defiance of the Council. Wanting to train Anakin even though the council and especially Yoda thought it was a bad idea. Now in E2 we can see the start that they were correct. That Anakin is to hot headed and arrogent, and Obi-Wan can bearly control him.

The failing of the droid army from E1, led to the creation of the Clone Army. If they would have been a succesful army, then we wouldn't have gotten to the Stormtroopers of the OT. Not to mention the failings of the Neimodians, and Padme's group defeating Nute Gunray's forces, his hatred for her led to the assassination attempt to kill her in revenge.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Anakin's relationship with his mother, had we not seen how happy the two of them were, even though they were slaves, we wouldn't have as much emotional impact when Shmi dies in E2.
    - The emotional impact of a son having his mother die in his arms wouldn't be enough for you?

Jar Jar Bink's heroism and assistance to the Jedi's and Naboo, leading to him being appointed a Senator that gives Palpatine his Emergancy powers, changing the galaxy drastically.
    - Why didn't we see Orn Free Taa's rise to senator, or Bail Organa's? Almost any senator could have been manipulated into making this blunder that gave Palpi that power.

Qui-Gon's death being the final straw to Dooku, and him leaving the order. Why he joined up with Sidious is unknown, perhaps he wanted to make the galxy a better place, and felt that the Jedi's were to arrogent for to be part of the change.
    - Er... what part of the film is this in again?

Palpatine and Anakin's relationship, it all began with Palpatine stating he was going to keep a close eye on young Anakin. Now in Episode II he's become somewhat of a father figure, or mentor for the now grown up Anakin.
    - Then why didn't we see QGJ and OWK meet for the first time, or Dooku and QGJ, or Yoda and OWK? That last one actually would have fit in with the classic trilogy; I don't think we needed to see Palpatine pat a 9 year old Ani on the head in Ep 1 to explain his personal relationship with 20 year old Ani in Ep 2.

Obi-Wan showing his defiance of the Council. Wanting to train Anakin even though the council and especially Yoda thought it was a bad idea. Now in E2 we can see the start that they were correct. That Anakin is to hot headed and arrogent, and Obi-Wan can bearly control him.
    - Er... since Ep 1 made that up, it didn't have a classic trilogy foundation, I don't see how you can say it was neccessary. It could just as easily have been a throw-away piece of dialogue between Ani and Obi-Wan on the Coruscant bus in Ep 2:
    ANI: Master, I know we don't always see eye-to-eye on things, but thank you for going against the council and teaching me the ways of the Force.
    OBI-WAN: Sure thing.

The failing of the droid army from E1, led to the creation of the Clone Army. If they would have been a succesful army, then we wouldn't have gotten to the Stormtroopers of the OT. Not to mention the failings of the Neimodians, and Padme's group defeating Nute Gunray's forces, his hatred for her led to the assassination attempt to kill her in revenge.
    - I don't remember anybody saying the failure of the droid army in Ep 1 led to the creation of the clone army in Ep 2. In fact, if you look at Holonet News these past few weeks, it appears that Sidious' plan went well beyond the Naboo blockade; it involved refugees and civil war and the manipulation of major corporations.

The only thing Ep 1 does is to show how Palpatine became the chancellor, and since we never saw how Palpi became a senator to begin with, I can't imagine that Ep 1 is really the beginning of the story - thus, Palpatine's chancellorship could have been explained in Ep 2's opening crawl or by some comment of Bail Organa's.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

jeditricks,

a while back, on the old forums, i got you to do a re-write of the episode 1 you would of liked to have seen made, and i thought you did a pretty good job. a few pages back on this forum, i have a thread with a list of things i thought could of made episode 2 a better film. if you get a chance, i'd like to see what you would add to make episode 2 better, or better yet, re-write.

Originally posted by JediTricks
    - The emotional impact of a son having his mother die in his arms wouldn't be enough for you?

- Why didn't we see Orn Free Taa's rise to senator, or Bail Organa's? Almost any senator could have been manipulated into making this blunder that gave Palpi that power.

- Er... what part of the film is this in again?

- Then why didn't we see QGJ and OWK meet for the first time, or Dooku and QGJ, or Yoda and OWK? That last one actually would have fit in with the classic trilogy; I don't think we needed to see Palpatine pat a 9 year old Ani on the head in Ep 1 to explain his personal relationship with 20 year old Ani in Ep 2.

- Er... since Ep 1 made that up, it didn't have a classic trilogy foundation, I don't see how you can say it was neccessary. It could just as easily have been a throw-away piece of dialogue between Ani and Obi-Wan on the Coruscant bus in Ep 2:
    ANI: Master, I know we don't always see eye-to-eye on things, but thank you for going against the council and teaching me the ways of the Force.
    OBI-WAN: Sure thing.

- I don't remember anybody saying the failure of the droid army in Ep 1 led to the creation of the clone army in Ep 2. In fact, if you look at Holonet News these past few weeks, it appears that Sidious' plan went well beyond the Naboo blockade; it involved refugees and civil war and the manipulation of major corporations.

The only thing Ep 1 does is to show how Palpatine became the chancellor, and since we never saw how Palpi became a senator to begin with, I can't imagine that Ep 1 is really the beginning of the story - thus, Palpatine's chancellorship could have been explained in Ep 2's opening crawl or by some comment of Bail Organa's.
    Thank you for that. My answers were brewing as I scrolled down and found your post.

Speaking of the opening crawl, this one was the most convoluted yet. Be that as it may, every bit of information that is necessary from Ep I could easily have been written into a crawl or said in, as you say, a throw-away line somewhere thus eliminating the need for Ep I altogether. There was so little crucial information given in TPM that the story can easily be picked up with Ep II. He essentially wasted two precious hours out of his alloted 6 to tell the prequels.