Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

freaky lookin' vintage...

I dug out my vintage Hoth Luke figure the other day and it kinda creeped me out. I hadn't realized how much the details in toys had progressed...
    the facial markings and texture of that toy remind me of some freaky looking china doll from the 1940's.

...boy, do I feel old...

Talking

The faces always seemed happy-looking to me. Humans, aliens, even Stormtroopers appeared nice. Heck, even Lando smiled for us at times!

Vader: "Join me, and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son."
    Bespin Luke: "I'll never join you!"
    Vader: "Why are you so pleased?"
    Luke: "I'm not pleased! I hate you! You're lying!"
    Vader: "Seriously; why are you so happy?"
    Luke: "What? Are you crazy?"
    Vader: "Ah; kids..."

But you have to admit (yes, you HAVE TO), you never had to worry about weird poses not letting you put the figures in to vehicles or carrying cases.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

I've also noticed that all vintage figures seem to have that "pleasant" expression on their face. None of the bad guys looked too intimidating either. Vader had a pencil-neck, Stormtroopers had their head molded to their shoulders, Death Squad Commandos had salad bowls on their head and the AT-AT Commander looked like that kid who always got beat up in school for looking like a girl.

But, you're right BCJ, their playability and versatility was unmatched, especially in today's line.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Unhappy

(So Barada is now Corellian, eh BB? )

I really disliked the molded head deal, too. Booo! I had to change Han and Luke heads onto Biker Scouts to replay the Death Star detention block scene. Some cool characters were "No-Neck Joes:"

Stormtrooper
    Hoth Stormtrooper
    Emperor's Royal Guard (still better than any post-POTF2 resculpt)
    TIE Pilot (still better than any post-POTF2 resculpt)
    Most (all?) Ewoks
    Gammorrean Guard (I think so)

Why, Kenner? Why?
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

I agree totally on the Royal Guard and TIE Pilot being better than anything offered today. The Saga RG is an improvement but still looks wrong when his arms are by his side. I've been asking for a resculpted TIE Pilot for years.

None of the ewoks had neck articulation. And don't forget about Chewbacca, Droopy McCool, Sy Snootles and Amanaman (although how they would actually articulate his neck is beyond me).

Oh yeah, the Power Droid didn't have an articulated neck either.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

But Sy Snootles and the Power Droid don't really have necks.
    I was show my vintage figs to a young firend of my families and he said that the old figures looked "cartoony". It's interesting he would say that, because I have thought some of the POFT2 figures look "cartoony".
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

The vintage figures looked the way they did because of the limits of technology, I don't know what POTF2's excuse was.

Saying the Power Droid has no neck articulation is like saying that he has no shoulder articulation, since he only has feet. It was meant as sarcasm. Hence the . However, Sy Snootles was given neck articulation for her POTF2 resculpt. Not saying it necessarily looked good, more like she was being strangled slowly by a piano wire; but it was there.

(You tricked me with your avatar change, bb! Making me look silly... )
    How could I have forgotten Chewie?!? Unforgivable. It would have been nice to get a different figure of him, Vader, too.

But, as per the rules, I owe a BSLOS for my omittance of the Wookiee:

"To aks ya some questions to see if ya'r, 100 proof."

Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
    (You tricked me with your avatar change, bb! Making me look silly... )
    HeeHee!

Just to help BCJ save face, I did have a Han Solo avatar for about 1 day; but it just wasn't me so I went back to one of my Klatooinian Series #1 avatars (there is no Series #2 ).

I spent my entire childhood wishing for a new version of Chewie and Vader. I actually liked the first POTF2 "husky" Chewie, it made him look more like some of the concept sketches; but I am glad we are getting more accurate versions now. I hated the first POTF2 Vader, and Hasbro has yet to make one that I am completely satisfied with (removable helmet is the best, but needs cloth capes).

Trying to push more junk that is their excuse!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!