Clash of the Titans (2010)

http://www.shockya.com/news/wp-conte...usa_poster.jpg

The mortal son of the god Zeus embarks on a perilous journey to stop the underworld and its minions from spreading their evil to Earth as well as the heavens..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JNNg4K0tEE

The remake doesn't hold a candle to the original when it comes to storytelling, direction, character development, or acting. The only thing the remake did better was cinematography and special effects (even still, the original Kracken and Calibos designs from 81 were far superior). The remake didn't even keep the same story line or character interaction. Perseus, instead of being filled with wonder as he explores the world, is jaded and angry the entire time. There's no love story with Andromeda. There's no Ammon (Burgess Meredith's character). This movie promotes an incredibly cynical / pessimistic world view.
    I absolutely despised the humanistic subplot promoting the concept that man is superior to god[s].

Had the 2010 film been a scene for scene remake of the 81 movie, just with today's technology and special effects, it might have stood a chance.

The reviews were so bad, I skipped this in the theatre...they said the 3-D was horrendous(since it was an afterthought). I'll wait & Redbox it.
    "In my experience there's no such thing as luck."

I knew this was trouble the moment I realized Pegasus was black and not the white that is typical of the hero archtype.

The stop motion of the original Clash may have made the action somewhat clunky, but it was an obvious omage to Jason and the Argonauts. At the very least the original Clash felt epic. I haven't seen the remake. Have no plans to either.

My brother said that the Kraken was a bigger chump than the Fallen from Transformer 2.

It just goes to show you sometimes you can't go home. That and special effects cannot replace heart. The 3D is getting old.

I was really looking forward to this movie, but after hearing all the negative comments from not only critics, but average joes as well, I'm think I'll wait for it to show up at the $5 Wal-Mart bin.

The appeal of the original, to me, is that it was made in the late 70s (I don't recall when it came out, but remember seeing a feature on it that mentioned it was in the works before Star Wars came out), but looks like it's from the 50s.

I'll wait for cable for this one, but, I have to admit, I'm looking far more forward to this than to the remakes of Red Dawn or The Karate Kid.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post

I'll wait for cable for this one, but, I have to admit, I'm looking far more forward to this than to the remakes of Red Dawn or The Karate Kid.
    how bout JLo cast in Goldie Hawn's role in the remake of Overboard. That could make this carp remake look like gold

I had not heard of that, and the idea makes me weep. One, JLo should never, ever get another job in Hollywood, or at least not any job that doesn't require her standing on a street corner and propositioning greasy men. Second, Overboard would hardly be on my list of "films that were so good they need to be remade."
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by autumnsdescent View Post
    The remake didn't even keep the same story line or character interaction. Perseus, instead of being filled with wonder as he explores the world, is jaded and angry the entire time. There's no love story with Andromeda. There's no Ammon (Burgess Meredith's character). This movie promotes an incredibly cynical / pessimistic world view.
    I absolutely despised the humanistic subplot promoting the concept that man is superior to god[s].
    Well, Perseus' adoptive father looked a lot like Cut-Me-Mick to me, but you're right, no one to really help him along (as he dies too early to do so).

I never thought about the negative worldview while watching it, but the man's-sick-and-tired theme was clear to me, and weak and poorly constructed.

Aside from the "release the kraaken!" line, there really weren't any good one-liners. There were several in the 80s film, one of its lasting elements.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."