Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wireless Notebook Help

Maybe someone can help me

I cant get my wireless co connect, its says there is a problen with my DNS, and my Key Ports. Its a HP Special edition, only had it 2 and a half months.

Any help would be greeeaaaaaatly appreciated.

Nate
    You'll be dead!

N. Lindstrom Photo
    Top Shelf Traders - tjovonovich, Val Da Car

First off you need to see if you router is secure or not. If it is you need the Key which can be a 4 to 32 alpha-numeric combination.

IF you got a HP that's 2 months old do you have the connection assistant??? That helps. Also if you click on my computer, then on Network Places, then set up wireless network that should be helpful.

If none of that works or makes sense, post your router make and modle, lappy make and model and I'll see what I can do
    Come see Dar' Live™ Aug 12-15 in Orlando!!!
    You're slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter.
    Hackers in hollywood movies are phenomenal. All they need to do is "c:\> hack into fbi"

Uh.....

Tried a new wireless network, no good.

Not quite sure where to find said numbers though......
    You'll be dead!

N. Lindstrom Photo

What kind of wireless router are you using??? There should have been a set-up CD for the router. That should help you with setting up the security for the wireless network.
    Hackers in hollywood movies are phenomenal. All they need to do is "c:\> hack into fbi"

I guess Ill have to look when I get home.

*EDIT* I guess Im connected to a network at full strength, but I still get Can Not Display Page and my MSN wont log in either. Im not working offline either.
    You'll be dead!

N. Lindstrom Photo

Most of the notebooks I use have the spiral wire on the spine, so I might not be able to help you as much. I hear the perferated edge notebooks and sown spines work very much the same way:

1. place notebook on flat surface
    2. lightly grasp right edge of the cover and pull towards you, making sure the notebook itself stays on the flat surface
    3. grasp writing tool with preferred hand (for left-handed users, skip to question 5)
    4. place marks in left-to-right motion on horizontal blue lines, making sure to stay within the vertical pink lines, but having no care to worry about smudging what you write
    5. for left-handed users, place marks in left-to-right motion on horizontal blue lines, making sure to stay within the vertical pink lines, but having volcanic explosion of frustration about smudging what you write
    6. when complete, reverse process in #2
    7. repeat if necessary

Hope that helps!
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

My prefered way of fixing is to throw it straight up in the air........
    You'll be dead!

N. Lindstrom Photo

Quote Originally Posted by Rebo's_Guitarist View Post
    I guess Ill have to look when I get home.

*EDIT* I guess Im connected to a network at full strength, but I still get Can Not Display Page and my MSN wont log in either. Im not working offline either.
    Your notebook may be registering that there is a network available, but not connected to it. Double click on your connection icon in the taskbar and look at the "Status" and the "Network". It should say connected and then have the name of your network listed. If it shows you are connected but no network name then you are not actually connected through your network. If you can, take a screen shot (hit 'print screen' and paste it in a paint program) of you connection status. I'll leave an exable below. I blurred my connection name for security purposes. I do not broadcast my SSID.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Network.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	14487  

I dont know how well you can actually see this......but its connected. Sorry, I dont know how the heck to get the full thing without resizing, I dont know too much about this sort of thing...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You'll be dead!

N. Lindstrom Photo

Hmmmm . . . . intertseting . . your connected, you have a network SSID and signal strength is great. . . . . . Hmmm . . . . . alright, so the computer is where it needs to be. Lets see about the router.

I need you to post the type of router you are using, like Linksys, and the model number. Also if you are running a DSL or cable connection.