Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real Scan

Thumbs up Real Scan

I recently took a look at some action figures produced using the 3D scanning technology, and I got a bit excited when I thought about the upcoming AOTC figures. I hope my expectations aren't going to leave me disappointed, but I don't really see how that would happen. I really hope they don't raise the price per figure. I could see Hasbro doing something like that.

So what's next? How about extreme articulation to accompany extremely accurate detail? Give them a GI-Joe-esque upper torso while keeping them the same below the waist (we can't have rubber bands that get brittle and break, or have action figures that are missing their "junk").

Thumbs up

I think real scan will be very interesting. I just like the scuplting as well. We will get the best of both worlds.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

I'm looking forward to the more acurate facial sculpting and more acurate droid detailing!
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

The face sculpting is refined by hand after the machine has spat out a wax efigy of the scanned person. They still need a human touch to finish it off, The realscan procedure simply speeds up the turnover of figurse because they don't need to spend weeks on one figure anymore. They can scan in several poses at the same session and then pick the best once they have the wax miniatures at the end.

I think in terms of fabric renderings and mechanical details in the droids and ships, we'll see a marked improvement. I just hope it doesn't make all the POTJ figures look out of place or really bad. I hope they all blend in with each other without too much to distinguish them. I'd hate to have a two grade Jedi council thing going on. Half super real and half looking like voodoo dummies.

I'm hesitant to embrace the technology as far as star wars goes until we see the final things on the shelves. Unless Hasbro are pulling a fast one and testing the water with a realscanned Eeth Koth...........

I think the Planet of the Apes figures showed that even real-scanned figures could be ruined by crappy paint jobs.

However, I'm really looking forward to more accurate face sculpts and body types. Hopefully, this means no more 'beefing up' background characters. Something Hasbro did occasionally with Ep1 toys.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Originally posted by bigbarada
    I think the Planet of the Apes figures showed that even real-scanned figures could be ruined by crappy paint jobs.

However, I'm really looking forward to more accurate face sculpts and body types. Hopefully, this means no more 'beefing up' background characters. Something Hasbro did occasionally with Ep1 toys.
    True, Just take a look at the "Coloured Real Scaned Jango Fett Full Body action pose bust" and tell me that the figures are going to rule!

Wipe the old technology out... All of them!
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

The one thing to consider is the overall scale of the figure. I mean I think that realscan will help as I said in an earlier post here on this thread, but the smaller you go... the less you are able to control the detailing. I think the heads will be great on the forthcoming figures... hopefully they can get the paint machines to apply the features correctly. There has been many a figure with "arched too high" eyebrows... Qui-Gon, Padme, Anakin... for starters.

So... I think the overall realscan process will help the art teams produce better proportioned figured with more accurate detail... but the faces also need to be considered.

Thumbs up

JEDIpartnr,

I had been thinking recently that it might make for better figures if they increase the figure size to further tap the potential accuracy of the Real Scan process. That would create a huge continuity problem with all of the other SW action figures, so I don't expect it to happen at all. IMO they must keep them consistent. There is nothing wrong with making more accurate figures, but to change the line entirely would be.........bad.

I assume they will be using the same process to create the 12 inch action figures. This may be where we see the true potential of the Real Scan process.

Oh, I totally agree with you Jedi Clint!

I would hate it if they suddenly altered the scale of the line. That would be horrible! I hope you didn't think I was suggesting that. I remember back in 1979 when I was in Japan thinking how bad it was that Takara had put out those 'tween size figures based off the 3-3/4" Kenner moulds.

The scale is perfect and I wouldn't change a thing... I just wish they would be able to get the detailing a little better and without as much overspray. Did you happen to check out poor Shmi on www.collectstarwars.com ? Poor thing had age spots and mites attacking her hairline. I knew they were poor, but come on! I'm sure Watto would have let her buy soap, Porcelana and some Rid!

Talking LOL

E Gad! Yeah, that isn't good. Alright, Someone needs to come up with Real Detailing!!!

The sculpt of that Shmi wasn't bad, I wonder if they scanned the actress? The only frame of reference that I have for Real Scan plastic action figures are the larger WWF action figures. I haven't seen a 3 3/4 Real Scan figure yet.....to my knowledge.

I didn't think that you were suggesting a size change. I was just exploring the idea a bit.