Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Baby Luke And Baby Leia...

Okay, I know this was discussed someplace and I've looked all over, but I just can't find the thread I'm looking for. But anyway, there was a brief discussion about whether or not Luke and Leia should be seen during Episode 3. Someone argued that it would take away from the OT because new viewers of Star Wars would watch it 1 - 6. And those new viewers would know who Luke and Leia are and it would take away from ESB and Vader's line.
    Well, I just thought about something. If they're not going to put the twins in Episode 3, then you have to do something with Anakin/Vader. Because in ANH, Obi-Wan said that Vader killed Luke's father. Well, we all know that means, but new viewers to ANH wouldn't, unless they watched the Prequels. What I'm getting at is if showing the twins in Episode 3 would ruin things for new people in the OT, so would showing Anakin becoming Darth Vader (which I'm pretty sure he'd have to by Episode 3 - I only think anyway, in no way confirming this, so I'm not trying to spoil anything ). So in order not to ruin anything there would have to be another Vader in Episode 3 who fights with Anakin and he seems to kill Ani. Then everyone would still be surprised in ESB when Vader tells Luke that he is his father.
    I really don't think that could work, so there is really no way to prevent "ruining" the ESB line for new viewers. They'd just have to watch it from the OT to the Prequels.

End (finally) .
    They call them fingers, and yet they don't fing. Noodle that one for a while.
    "Logic dictates we haul @$$." - Mego Spock from Twisted Toyfare Theater; Issue #59

i think the thread you were talking about is the "complete story to speculate from" in this forum... i brought up the idea that maybe palpatine cloned anakin, calling him vader, and so on...
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

Originally posted by darthvyn
    i think the thread you were talking about is the "complete story to speculate from" in this forum... i brought up the idea that maybe palpatine cloned anakin, calling him vader, and so on...
    I don't think that it was. I got down the first paragraph of Tycho's post and I figured I shouldn't read it. I know that this is a Non-Spoilers thread, but Tycho seems to know stuff before the movie comes out, so I didn't want to take a chance .
    I'll keep looking for it, and if I find it, I'll have a mod move this.
    But thanks .

End.

Edited in: I found the other thread and I already put my response in there. But, I don't know if this shouldn't be left here as it is more an Episode 3 topic and my reply to the other one was a little off topic anyway (it was about a third trilogy being made). If a mod still wants to delete this, that's okay, but I don't think it would hurt anything .
    Last edited by Lman316; 05-28-2002 at 11:25 AM.
    "Logic dictates we haul @$$." - Mego Spock from Twisted Toyfare Theater; Issue #59

Ben's explanation to Luke can be taken by the intended audience as a) true from a certain point of view when they discover the truth later on, and b) a necessary (when the truth is revealed) but confusing explanation at the time from the audience p.o.v. because Luke wasn't ready to hear the truth about his destiny and Ben wasn't going to lay everything on him all at once.
    ubi mel ibi apes

I'm all for preserving the secrets of the original trilogy, like not showing Luke and Leia at the end of episode III. As far as hiding Vader's identity, did anyone notice how tall Dooku is? I mean, Christopher Lee is a big guy...kinda like Vader. If Dooku and Anakin fought and it appeared as if Anakin had been killed, then Dooku and someone else fought (maybe Yoda...who knows) and then Dooku appeared to die, then Later I see Palpatine fitting a fallen comrade in that black suit, that comrade speaking with James Earl Jones' voice. Maybe I'd assume it was Dooku, renamed for his new body.

But, I just hope Lucas intends to preserve the secrets of the original trilogy. And since we all know that when he was given the go to make Empire he had already decided to someday make the prequels, I hope he's already got that whole thing worked out.

And, back to Luke and Leia being in ep III, I've started to think maybe Vader doesn't know he even has a son. Maybe he thinks they're dead...maybe he thinks Padme's dead. I mean, Empire begins with Vader "Obsessed with finding young Skywalker..." Well, why wasn't he obsessed before? Maybe he didn't know Luke was alive until the destruction of the Death Star: He senses the force as he attacks Lukes X-Wing, then later hears the news spreading across the Rebellion that a Luke Skywalker destroyed the Empire's greatest weapon. Then he becomes obsessed with finding Luke.
    All Hail Darth Schmitsky!

I really don't think that Lucas is going to try to keep identities secret. I mean, he's already revealed Yoda to everyone, so it will be no surprise for people when they watch ESB for the first time (if they're watching it 1 - 6). Everyone will already know who Yoda is, so I doubt he'll try to keep everything else under wraps.
    People will just have to watch the OT first and then go and watch the Prequels.

End .

What's this "try to keep" crud?! The only way to confirm the man behind the mask is for someone to say:

"Hey you used to be Anakin Skywalker."
    For Vader to say, "I used to be Anakin Skywalker."
    Or for Lucas to show an unnecessary "fit Anakin with the Vader suit" sequence.

Other than that his secret is safe. They can hint about it all they want, but blatantly confirming it is ridiculous.
    ubi mel ibi apes

I think that when ESB comes around, it's been a long time since Yoda was up and about, he's old, and he's been a hermit in hiding. I just recently watched ESB and my thought was, "If I didn't know he was about to reveal himself as the Jedi Master Yoda, I'd think he was off his nut." So, it's still kind of a surprise when he suddenly goes from having a split personality disorder to being the wise and tempered frog we all know and love.

I stand by my assertion that the most appropriate way to tell this story is to somehow maintain the tension and drama of the best scene in the sextulogy--the Bespin lightsaber battle between Luke and Vader.

Maybe Lucas won't maintain that secret, but I truly, deeply believe he should.

i personally would like to see how a sith is initiated, and why they take a darth name... i've said before, i think that ep III should start out with anakin becoming a jedi knight (because he is referred to as one in OT) and end with his initiation into the sith. i still maintain that to skirt the divulging of secrets will result in poor plot development. i think the best way to keep the secrets of the OT intact, is to watch the movies in production order, and that's a choice to make for yourself and yourself alone. i for one would like to see anakin's darkest moment, as he gives in to his temptation and falls to the dark side.
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

How would it be poor plot developement if they refrain from verbally declaring that Anakin is Vader, or showing him fitted with the suit? Anything less than those on screen events leaves the confirmation of his identity in TESB and ROTJ where it has been been for the past couple of decades.
    ubi mel ibi apes