What made you decide to collect?

Ok another question...What was it that made you want to collect the POTF2 and POTJ toys? For me, it was a friend who at that time was into it. I wasnt, I wasnt impressed with the first wave. They had looked really bad and besides all I wanted was the falcon. However, it looked so empty that I had to get han and chewie for it. Well to say the least, before I knew it I had to get them all and that tradition continues to this day. Although my friend has quit collection, I havent! I have so much fun collection, its like a scavenger hunt! I am so awed by the amount of detail in the figs and it makes me happy knowing that the ones I couldnt get as a kid, that now I can. Like filling some void left behind. I hope to continue this tradition with my daughter, just hopefully not with Barbies! I am glad that she is missing out on barnie and those god awfull power rangers!
    "Luke, join the dark side, it's so wizard!"

What made me want to collect them was that I collected the vintage figures in the days before Episode 1 so I decided to collect them!
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

The prospect of having the first resculpts of Vader, Chewie and a Stormtrooper since the line debuted in 1978. However Vader and the Stormtrooper were highly disappointing. But once I started, I was hooked.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Lightbulb

As most of the collectors i know, i strated with the vintage figures and when the line got cancelled lots of hopes went down, that was until 1995 when the POTF2 came up, since then...we have to strat all over again!!
    Last edited by Lobito; 09-19-2001 at 10:52 AM.
    As always...........L

I started collecting as a child who was obsessed with the STAR WARS films. I din't know I was "collecting", per se, but I suppose I was. Looking back I am glad that did that. I have a lot of memories wrapped up in those toys.

I am still collecting because I am now an ADULT who is obsessed with the STAR WARS films!
    Last edited by JEDIpartner; 09-19-2001 at 01:20 PM.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

I liked Star Wars as a kid and often recieved the toys as Christmas and birthday presents, but I never cared if I got all the figures or anything. Then for awhile I forgot about it until one day in 1996 I walked into a Wal-Mart and was looking around and saw the new POTF 2, Luke Dagobah, Chewie, etc. I bought those first couple of waves, and, since I'm not the kind of person that does a little of ANYTHING, I was hooked from then on. I am now a hopeless completist. If I ever try to stop collecting, I'm going to need a recovery help group to quit.
    Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis

I got some Star Wars for Christmas in '95 and then I went a re-watched the movies and was hooked ever since.

Having hoarded all my star wars books and comics and bits and pieces for years, I went and settled down with someone dear. It seemed time to grow up and put away those childish things.... in the garbage can........

Several withdrawal months later, I walk into a department store and there in the toy department were the star wars figures with their big bulky super bodies like they'd spent the intervening years since the vintage line died working out. I had to sneak a couple into my shopping that day and sneak them into the house. Slowly the numbers increased until I had a mini collection that just had to be displayed. My partner made me swear to keep tthe collection small........ oops! I got treally good at sneaking the figures into the house without getting caught. Seems like overnight the numbers got quite big and we had to devote some new shelf space to it all. Then my partner relaxed the stranglehold a little and started to get me the odd figure here and there. I'm over run with them now, can't move for falling over the stuff. What am i going to do with new movies coming out and no room to stick anything? Guess I'll have to take over another room. Pretty soon the whole house will be mine. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!