Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Conversations with other "fans" in the toy aisles...

I was just thinking about this as I was looking at the "Flying off the pegs" thread in the TOYS section.

I tend to be a pretty friendly guy and like to chat with people. I have, on a number of occasions, struck up a conversation with the other people perusing the STAR WARS product. The conversations have generally been nice and casual. HOWEVER... there have been a number of times I've started talking about figures or the lack of them in the area and the other person or people have just looked at me like I was a freak. I got a look once that screamed "God! Don't talk to me you big geek!" I couldn't believe it... I wanted to say "Hi... you're shopping for the same stuff, too... you big sweaty pile!"

Has this happened to anyone else?
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

I haven't had that kind of thing happen exactly but I understand what you're talking about.

I like chatting with people in the aisles too, especially if I can help them find what they're looking for.
    [font=verdana]Madness take its toll. Please have exact change[/font]
    [font=verdana]Life's short and hard like a bodybuilding elf... - Blood Hound Gang [/font]
    I'm a trendy tote bag!

Jonna
    If I see someone digging through the piles, I usually ask what figure they are looking for to be helpfull. I actually met two other form posters on the same day in different stores by doing this.

I very often get the "scary geek" look when I strike up a conversation about SW in the aisle. Mind you, I often take a quick peek when Im at work (police officer) which could lead to some of these looks! "Son, put down that Amidala with mole or you're under arrest!" Not quite.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

Re: Conversations with other "fans" in the toy aisles...

Originally posted by JEDIpartnr

I tend to be a pretty friendly guy and like to chat with people. I have, on a number of occasions, struck up a conversation with the other people perusing the STAR WARS product. The conversations have generally been nice and casual. HOWEVER... there have been a number of times I've started talking about figures or the lack of them in the area and the other person or people have just looked at me like I was a freak. I got a look once that screamed "God! Don't talk to me you big geek!" I couldn't believe it... I wanted to say "Hi... you're shopping for the same stuff, too... you big sweaty pile!"

Has this happened to anyone else?
    Not exactly the same. But I also have struck up conversations with fellow customers in the SW aisle and some of them have been kind of funny. Most of the time its because the person I'm talking to will recite his "knowledge" of what is rare, and what isn't, and what figures Hasbro is coming out with next.

It's funny because 9 times out of 10 the stuff he tells me is just bogu rumours that he found on the internet and assumed were true, and which I already know from my own scouring, SirStevesGuide, and of course the forums, are incorrect. But since the people are usually nice and don't mean any harm I either politely correct their information or I simply nod and go along with it. Either way, it can be a fun way to meet other people.
    Wha'choo talkin 'bout Hasselhoff?

I don't usually see too many people, as I usually look at 2 in the morning at Wal-Mart. But when I do strike up conversation, I usually regret it. I always run into the real scary people. My friend however, he always meets the cool ones. Go figure.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

I often try to talk to the people in the Star Wars areas. Most usually like to talk, with some giving some interesting information or being good to talk to. There are occassionly some who givce me looks like JediPartner described, although that isn't a bad thing as usually it means they move away so I get to the front of the star wars area!
    But quite recently I've had two really strange experiences, let me tell you about them:
    First I was checking out the AOTC figures at a shop the day after they were released, and there was an old man there of around 60 or so looking at the figures. He was actually a Star Wars figure fan! I've never met a star wars collecter anywhere near that age until then!
    Secondly, a few weeks ago I was looking in the SciFi area of my local book store at th star wars and I saw this forty-odd man looking around the same area. I struck up a conversation and found out he was a Trekkie (very bad taste I must say!). Anyway, then he starting shaking my hand and talked for two or three minutes, continually shaking my hand. I couldn't get away! I'm sure I could smell alcohol on his breath
    Anyone else had experiences like this?

STiin
    Superb Sellers, highly recommended = Karma, LMan, Son Gohan, Bosskmr, Julian

Oh, uh sorry Saesee. I hope my palms weren't too sweaty.

I like talking with people in the SW aisle. Many times I've gotten good tips on stuff at other stores or where stuff has been hidden in that store or who are the good employees to talk to, etc.

I can kind of tell when someone's not in the mood, though. Mainly they're the scalpers who just want to find crap and are not interested in what you have to say unless you're helping them out.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

I met one guy in the Star Wars aisle who was a fan as a kid but never got back into it until he saw the last Ep2 trailer. He was looking through the pegs and talking about how much he used to love the toys and stuff. Then I just casually mentioned that Anakin Hangar Duel had the removable arm, not even really thinking about it, (this was a week before the movie was released) and he looked at me like I had just ripped his heart out with my bare hands. Oops, my bad!

I have met others, but the only real conversations we strike up is to talk about what figures we are looking for. I asked a guy in the TRU aisle about Count Dooku and he reached in the back of the display and pulled out the last one left and gave it to me, which I promptly handed to my brother. I think collectors helping each other out is what makes this hobby great.

Another nice extra to being the casual, non-fanatical fan, while my brother and I were waiting in line for the Ep2 midnight showing, two guys and their girlfriends got in line behind us. The guys had boxed lightsabers with them and proceeded to rip them out of the box and have a lightsaber duel. Their girlfriends were so embarrassed by this that they would tell people they knew that they were there with my brother and I and they didn't know the two geeks in the corner dueling it out. Good thing my brother's wife wasn't there.

Not quite like that Saesee, but close. When clones came out I taked with a guy pushing his mid fifties. He said he had been out of collecting for a long long time, which I didn't buy-and not because the sole figure he purchased was count Dooku-and anyways this was the first figure he'd bought in long time. And I also had another collector try and convert me to a sirsteve rival site..rival might not be the most pc word but the points the same. I actuall thought his plug was pretty funny, I did have the courtesy to wait until he left to start laughing.
    Your signature here!