Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Unhappy Scalping goes to NEW low...

Today I was looking through several stores in my town for a few of the new "harder-to-find figures", dooku, yoda, qui-gon, etc. I went everywhere and found nothing.(im in NC) Finally, i went to toysrus, and at first glance, i saw nothing worth mention. But, upon digging through one of the deep figure bins, i uncovered, buried at the bottom or a bin, the bespin wave of figs, including 1 bloody luke & 3 vaders, some windus, and there were several dookus, etc... Problem was, they all had tears and rips in their packaging. All of them. I was thinking a scapler (s) must have taken all of the lot but the ones i found, because of their damaged packaging. However, to my surprise, upon looking across the bins, i saw a man with a 1/2 cart full of newer figs already in his cart pull up, apparently he had gotten to them right before me, even though i got to the store soon after it opened. To my surprise, after he had gotten the ones he wanted sorted out, he began to make creases in the figures he wasnt getting, making sure to damage the packing of at least 5 or 6 new figures! One by one he'd bend the bubble or make a little tear in the card. I had never seen anything like it, scalping is one thing, but damaging the procduct so no one else can enjoy it is even worse. Basically, this guy had gotten to the store when it opened, taken all the good stuff, and the good stuff that he couldnt afford, he damaged. My girlfriend saw him and told the store manager, but she still let him buy everything. Worst part is, 2 little kids came in with their mom about 5 minutes later, looking for yoda, but all the yodas were taken by the fat 30ish guy already. I think their should be a limit to the number of indentical figures a single person can buy, and guys like the one i saw today shouldnt be allowed to get anything.

Somebody should take this freak out yonder and put him down.
    THANKS FOR THE AT-TE & FALCON HASBRO. NOW IT'S TIME FOR A LARGE TANTIVE IV!

Jeeze, that is a new low. I totally agree with the limit on figures. I mean if you wanted to buy a bunch of battledroids or clones for an army you could just come back and buy more. That yoda deal you were talking about especially irritates me because I haven't been able to find one for quite some time. In fact i've never looked so hard for a figure. This is just absurd. Stupid scalpers!

Perhaps you could call the TRU Corporate number to report this incident?

I've witnessed inadvertent damage...i.e. figures falling out of overflowing pegwarmer bins and the cards end up dinged but i've never heard of anything like that.
    Red 6 or Bust - 2005 SSG Fantasy Football Champion
    bith tannen - 2006 SSG Fantasy Football Champion
    red 6 - 2008 SSG Fantasy Football Champion

I really don't get scalpers, really. I mean, yeah, they make some money off the figures they get, but it can't be THAT much. I've never really had any problems with finding any particular figure I wanted (except for the last of the POTJ, I want a Paploo). I live up in Washington and it seems that we are very plentiful with figures. I've never really had any problems with scalpers that much either. There were a few when TPM figures hit, but they weren't too bad. That dude you were talking about, man, he deserves a good whooping. Doing crap like that is uncalled for. I open my figs, but I can see where it must suck for the guys who don't open theres. Besides, snatching up all the same figs leaves the wee little kids out and that's a big load of BS. Man, when I was a kid, and if I saw someone doing that scalping crap, I would be devastated.
    "Flanders was a zombie?"

-Homer Simpson

Dar' Argol is a good guy to trade with!!!

I read in an issue of ToyFare a couple years ago that a Target store was using a hole punch on the corner of every figure to detere hoarding/scalping. Since I open all of my stuff, I think this is a great idea. Then there are the people like my brother and most of you guys who open one/save one. Granted, you can just get it somewhere else, but in rare cases when you find that one figure you need, I can understand how much this would suck. I think scalpers are the lowest common denominator of human existance. They're people who don't want to leave the sanctity of mommy's basement to get a real job so they just hope to make a quick buck by preying on someone else. I still laugh to myself at the idiot buying a dozen Jango Fett's on 4/23. Hope he's got room for them next to his OPD Ani's! HAW!

I collect primarily loose so stuff like this doesn't affect me at all. However what that guy is doing is just childish. It's the whole, "if I can't have it, no one can!" philosophy. Y'know the stuff that was so prominent in third grade.

Yet, according to scalpers who post on these forums, this is okay; since he's not reeeeaaallly doing anything wrong and we'd all do the same thing if we were in his shoes anyway.

Originally posted by CaptainSolo1138
    I read in an issue of ToyFare a couple years ago that a Target store was using a hole punch on the corner of every figure to detere hoarding/scalping. Since I open all of my stuff, I think this is a great idea. Then there are the people like my brother and most of you guys who open one/save one. Granted, you can just get it somewhere else, but in rare cases when you find that one figure you need, I can understand how much this would suck. I think scalpers are the lowest common denominator of human existance. They're people who don't want to leave the sanctity of mommy's basement to get a real job so they just hope to make a quick buck by preying on someone else. I still laugh to myself at the idiot buying a dozen Jango Fett's on 4/23. Hope he's got room for them next to his OPD Ani's! HAW!
    I remember when Target used to do this, I LOVED it because I too open all my figures and the holes they punched weren't in important areas like pictures or text, so it was easier to get "good enough" packaging with hard to find figures. However, there were a lot of vocal carded collectors who made sure this experiment died, I never fully understood why they cared what Target did with Target's merchandise, they could have always bought their product at other stores.

Hey Narcis, I'm surprised these guys bothered mangling the cards. It's against the law, it's defacing the store's property. Even more to the point though, they could just as easily have put the figures deep into those bins WITHOUT creasing and tearing the cards ahead of time, the bins would have taken care of that for them!!!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Oh my God! That is so messed up...I think I would of waited for him in the parking lot and "taken" the figures I needed from him.

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    Originally posted by Wonderboy
    Oh my God! That is so messed up...I think I would of waited for him in the parking lot and "taken" the figures I needed from him.
    Strewth.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."