Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Still not a decent Han Solo sculpt.

Why cant Hasbro sculpt a decent looking Harison Ford head? I just saw the new stormy Han head and it looks like its imploding, or been run over by a truck. All of the Han heads so far have been excellent likenesses...... of other actors. The first one(ANH and Hoth) looked like David Duchoviny. The second(Carbon froze and Bespin) looked like Tommy Lee Jones. The third one(trench coat) is a dead on likeness of Tim Allen. I was really looking forword to a new sculpt for the stormy Han but Hasbro dropped the ball once again. I have been in need of a good sculpt of Fords head to make a custom Indy Jones from but since Indy and Marion didnt suffer the same fate as the Nazies at the end of Raiders did, I have no need of the newest 12" Han.
    Like my dad always said, "Be original son. Dont quote someone else."

The biggest problem with the 12" line is the roto-molded heads. Even the best sculpts can be ruined by this process, however a solid plastic head, like the ones they use for 3 3/4" figures, would make the figure top-heavy and unstable. So, it's kind of just a fact of life for large size figures. The toy manufacturer has no idea what the finished product of the roto-molding process will look like until production starts. Which, of course, is too late. However, Hasbro is not going to take a financial bath to recall a toy based on purely asthetic reasons.
    Last edited by bigbarada; 09-25-2001 at 10:10 PM.

If they can't do better,I'd like to see you do a better job than what Hasbro designers have created

There never going to get it right but hey it doesn't matter that much?
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

I have to move this to the POTJ section.

As for the Harrison Ford face, I guess his face is hard to capture, I've only seen ONE toy that ever got his face really dead-on accurate, and it was $300 and super limited (Toys McCoy's 12" Indy). I don't think toy designers have the ability to capture Ford's complicated face.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Complicated? I'm sure that's a compliment!

I think it's pretty true... I mean... look at the Queen Amidala Portrait Edition 12" line... they did a great job on those and the 12" E1 Obi-Wan wasn't too bad... although his face was a little wide. Overall they have done a rather decent job on many of the figures. I think that there are certain nuances that are missed by the sculptors and, therefore, that results in a less than accurate sculpt.

As far as the head implosion thing... that is a result of the plastic and the air inside of it cooling. That can drastically alter the "shape" of the finished head. Better luck next time... I hope!
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

The quest continues for a decent Han head, eh Bubba? Perhaps you should just have a Tim Allen as Indiana Jones figure. Or maybe you can get some spackle and make a new Batman Forever Two-Face.
    By the way, did you happen to see (and perhaps obtain for me) a Death Star Trooper and/or Droid?
    "Does the name "Dingo" mean anything to you?" - Jedi Boulton to DingoDad at the October Dallas ComiCon.

Smile

I saw the ones at the toy show but Han is the only one Ive seen on the shelves. I have already witnessed the old buy/switch/return on Han. apparantly some bum liked the new sculpt and replaced it with Moulder. As, I believe, Tricks mentioned the Toys McCoy head is very accurate but this Scottsman wont put out $300, much less the $800 it takes to purchase the figure. As for now, i guess I could make a really good Jason Taggart from Galaxyquest.
    Like my dad always said, "Be original son. Dont quote someone else."

Complicated? That's what sculptors do for a living. It's just that the guy who molds Han's face is the same guy who does Mr. Potato Head....what do you expect?

Originally posted by Emperor Howdy
    Complicated? That's what sculptors do for a living. It's just that the guy who molds Han's face is the same guy who does Mr. Potato Head....what do you expect?
    But Mr. Potato Head had his parts stolen so his sculptor was very upset and refused to make a good head sculpt
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

I like to take my Michael Kelso: Death Star Escape and display it with Eric Foreman: Purchase of the Droids as if they're rescuing Donna Pinsikati (sp?): Emperor's Hand from Fez: Rebel Pilots 3-pack.
    Tommy, close your eyes.