Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Undercover Brother

Not a bad little film. Funny, well written. An entertaining hour and a half.

The send up on blaxplotation shows is obvious, and the jokes are pretty funny, but just as they start to wear thin, in walks a reason to stay in your seat. Denise Richards is not only smokin' hot as usual, but she actually acts in this flick, and acts quite well. She knows her part and plays it perfectly.

The downside is that if the tables were turned, and the "white man" made that much fun of "black" culture, the NAACP would have protest lines around the block. Besides, I don't know anybody that likes Mayonaisse that much.

But Denise, ahh, she's an entirely different matter. (Now, how to do away with Charlie Sheen )

Oh, and I almost forgot, great soundtrack. Even us white people in the audience could find the beat.

Is that the one with Chris Rock and Anthony Hopkins? Or am I thinking of another movie?

Eddie Griffin is cool.
    "It ain't no thang."

stillakid, I haven't seen it yet (but I will). What studio released it? I'm sure there are plenty of white men behind the scenes. Is the comedy really that broad a spoof of black culture, or is it more precisely aimed at blaxploitation films?

edit - COOL! Dave Chappelle! Doogie Howser! Billy Dee!
    I see Brian Grazer has a producing credit . . .

B, you're thinking of Bad Company.
    Last edited by 2-1B; 05-31-2002 at 11:54 PM.

Originally posted by Caesar
    Eddie Griffin is cool.
    "It ain't no thang."

stillakid, I haven't seen it yet (but I will). What studio released it? I'm sure there are plenty of white men behind the scenes. Is the comedy really that broad a spoof of black culture, or is it more precisely aimed at blaxploitation films?

It has the IMAGINE credit on it and was released by Universal.

It's a good mix of both, spoofing both the blaxploitation films and black culture with a hearty dose of comedy aimed at "The Man." You'll see what I mean when you get there.

It looked thin, and I haven't been able to tolerate Denise Richards since "The World is Not Enough", so I've been planning to avoid. However, this thread makes me think I *might* want to reconsider, but does it get past the "thin" parts beyond resorting to Mrs. Charlie Sheen?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    The trailer makes me think it will be funny...once. It also makes me think it's one of those movies that crams all the funny parts into the trailer, and the rest of the movie is joke-free. Doogie Howser!

Anybody who goes, theres more stuff at the end of the credits. Let me just say: Undercover Brother, White She-Devil, Sister Gal....oreo...
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

Originally posted by JediTricks
    It looked thin, and I haven't been able to tolerate Denise Richards since "The World is Not Enough", so I've been planning to avoid. However, this thread makes me think I *might* want to reconsider, but does it get past the "thin" parts beyond resorting to Mrs. Charlie Sheen?

Don't expect an Oscar pick or anything. It does hover close to that "Saturday-Night-Live-tell-the-same-joke-for-an-hour" syndrome, but I didn't get the feeling that it actually crossed the line. It's lite and funny enough to hold my interest. And like I said, if not for Denise, I would've gotten tired of it, PLUS, I agree with you on the Bond thing, that may be why I was impressed with her performance here. Her Bond "acting" would have fit right in with Sam Jackson in TPM.

Originally posted by Eternal Padawan

Anybody who goes, theres more stuff at the end of the credits. Let me just say: Undercover Brother, White She-Devil, Sister Gal....oreo...
    Definitely see it ONCE. That's enough. And thanks for reminding me about the credits thing. Most of the theater was emptyed out by the time the first "extra" came on. I think that there were three.

jeditricks,

you are not supposed to tolerate denise richards, just look at her.

yesterday i was listening to a howard stern clone and he was talking about denise richards. he kept saying something is wrong with her face. he thought she looked like what michael jackson would look like if he had a decent plastic surgeon. i thought he was nuts, but i got home and checked out her website, and there is definately a michael jackson vibe going on there. it's almost like michael saw her 10 years ago and said, "i wanna look like her!"

when denise and charlie get married, howard stern may have to reconsider the "Mr. and Mrs. Stupid" title he bestowed on brad pitt and jennifer aniston.

Originally posted by stillakid
    It has the IMAGINE credit on it and was released by Universal.

It's a good mix of both, spoofing both the blaxploitation films and black culture with a hearty dose of comedy aimed at "The Man." You'll see what I mean when you get there.
    I now know what you mean, and I agree with you.
    But I'll add that I was delighted that the movie spoofed black and white America in general. I expected it to be more of a "black culture" spoof but those digs at "The Man" were a nice touch. I like that the movie showed at least a little historical reference at the beginning to set up what they were making fun of and why. Dr. Laura and her ilk have nothing to stand on with this movie. (without extrapolating, I'm referring to her bashing of folks like Chris Tucker ) Anyway, I think the movie had a lighthearted and good natured intent.

Yeah, Charlie Sheen's fiance is pretty hot, but I can't believe you think she "acts" in this film! I get the feeling that's how she acts around her freak of a future husband.
    Now Aunjanue Ellis (Sistah Girl), she stole the show for me. :happy:

Very nice soundtrack! Hmmmm, I'd say one showing is enough. But I'll probably rent the DVD too . . .

caeser,

what did dr. laura say about chris tucker?