Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

cleaning vintage figures

I apologize if this has been discussed in the past, but here it goes...

I recently got my vintage figures and vehicles out of storage some of them have layers of dust and grime on them. Other than that, they're all mint. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best cleaning solution and methods to clean the figures. I didn't want to use anything that may ruin the paint jobs. Also, the AT-AT and AT-ST have many nooks and crannies, so I was hoping someone might have some ideas on cleaning those hard to reach places.

battery operated toothbrush and washing up liquid seem to do the trick. Then you don't get too much water on yuour stickers. Also I then dab with Bounty or something like that.
    Look - I'm Princess Leia!

And don't use any solution that's "lemon scented". I've been told it'll make the white plastic yellow in time.

The best thing I have found is just plain water. I'll use a little water and a q-tip for my figures and small area on vehicles. For bigger areas a small lint free cloth. Final for the real tight spots really the only things that works is air. A little can of air, like for cleaning the inside of a computer. But this has one draw back, you can blow the stickers right. Hope that helps.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

I found that the vintage stuff is really resiliant. I had my Star Destroyer under the shower and it's been fine!!!!
    Look - I'm Princess Leia!

Lime-Away and a wire brush.

No really, the tips given here already are pretty good. I usually use dishwashing liquid (thanks for the warning about lemon-scenting TIE Pilot).

I used to use Windex with Ammonia for my vintage vehicles, it smelled but didn't seem to have any effect on the plastics or coloration.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Oh I should say, the only reason I avoid using chemicals is because I worry about future interactions between the plastic and the chemical cleaners. But that's just a personal reason.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"

To add

onto that question. I have an Original 12" stormtrooper who now has yellow tinting to him. Soap did not work to remove the coloring. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I may get that BRIGHT white coloring back?

Sorry yellowing is not something you can clean. Its a photochemical reaction in the plastic. Most light colored or clear plastic yellow as they age. Normally its from exposure to sun light. Once yellowing has started you can't undo it. But you can slow it down and affect how much any item will yellow. The best thing is to store your Stormtrooper in a cool, dry, and dark place.