Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by bigbarada
    Lime-Away and a wire brush.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I totally bit when I read that.
    ("Oh my god ... what did he say?")
    Hah.

My big worry has always been the toll that age takes on the plastics used in the older figures. A few of my figures have started to display signs of decomposition ... some of the plastic and paint have actually gotten sticky or tacky. Specifically ... the "Death Squad Commander" and "AT-AT Commander" have sticky feet and hands, as if the paint is going soft. I generally (when it comes to vintage toys) never worried too much about cleaning ... I'll use simple green and sometimes Windex and a q-tip or soft cotton cloth ... but given the state of these figures I've begun to worry about using things with ammonia or any kind of dyes.

I would say water is the safest thing. That and a gentle hand ... these old plastic toys can't last forever. Which is why I've gotten very used to and fond of the typical signs of aging, like dust or small blemishes.

-pf

Plasticfetish,
    That topic was discussed earlier where the figures crystallize so that a sugar-like substance coats the figures. This is due to the cheap plastic used in some of the factories in Asia toward the end of the vintage line. Earlier figures (I'd say pre-1983) shouldn't have as much problem with this. I have some figs that have done this as well (Teebo, 4-lom, rebel commando, etc.) but I still display them and I don't think they're going to fully decompose in my lifetime anyway.
    Piett
    "Torontogosh! Master Luke inchimini doodoooooo..."

Originally posted by AdmiralPiett
    Plasticfetish,
    That topic was discussed earlier where the figures crystallize so that a sugar-like substance coats the figures.
    Hmmm ... sugar-like ... that's a weird one. Yeah, perhaps ...
    ... though, these are older (pre '80) figures ... and it's more of a softening of the plastic and paint. In particular the black painted areas of those two I mentioned. No doubt, they wont be turning to pudding in the near future (hah) but it's safe to assume that 25+ year old plastics can start to show some interesting signs of aging. Most of my figures (and most of mine are from '77) show signs of softening around the joints and then turning brittle in other places. I think it's just the nature of the beast ... and how long they last obviously has a lot to do with what additional chemicals/polutants you expose these plastics to.

At any rate, I have no doubt that heat and plain old bad Los Angeles air are the biggest threat to most of my older toys.

:]