View Poll Results: Should Hasbro keep doing exclusives?

Voters
747. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it allows things that won't mass-merchandise well to get produced

308 41.23%
  • No, it limits availability and promotes scalping

408 54.62%
  • I don't actually care about exclusives one way or the other.

31 4.15%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    I voted "D;"

"Most Star Wars Collectors nowadays are *****y little fanboys who don't appreciate what they have."

How can someone who does nothing but ***** about GL, Hasbro, Exclusives, etc. still spend money on those very same products? Are you two-faced, or just plain stupid? If tomorrow, Hasbro said they're cancelling the Star Wars line, and they'll never release any new Star Wars figure ever, would you be happy?

Back to the question at hand, do I like exclusives; Yes. I really like the TIE Interceptor, B'omarr Monk, Kabe & Muftak, TIE Bomber, Cantina Band Member, etc.

The only thing I don't like about some exclusives, is that collectors outside of the US can't readily get store exclusives. Now that does suck, but hey, who said life's fair?
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

The reason I do not like exclusives is because it promotes scalping and there is nothing worse than those kinds of people who buy the whole lot and resale for 500% +

I think it is alright for people to buy some here and there and resale them, (for instance on ebay or for a trade fair across the line) after all this is America and we are a capitalist country BUT to buy the whole lot and take advantage of people who want a TOY because it means WAY more to them than money is cruel and disgusting.

Also, I think a good idea for Hasbro would be to have their own outlet store where we could order direct from them for a regular retail price (they do need to make a profit I believe, hence selling items at the same price as regular retail stores) and then none of us including foreign countries would have to worry about not being able to find or afford (due to scalping or overpriced internet stores) the exclusive items. See, if Hasbro has their own outlet store, it solves 2 problems at once...

1.) Hasbro would not have to worry about producing too much product, they could produce based on number of orders for particular items (there are plenty of econometric models out there to assist them in this endeavor).

2.) Stores would not have to carry these types of exclusives (like vehichles and generally toys that cost more) as much and therefore would not have to worry about losing profit by ordering too many and no one getting them WHICH I must add has never happened when it comes to exclusive items. Someone mentioned before that those items that are usually exclusives would in themselves being awesome and grand sell out no matter what!
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

Originally posted by Tycho
    Honestly, we don't know what they did with the shuttle and how it ended up an exclusive at FAO. At the celebration they didn't even confirm the shuttle. This remains a "why question" I will ask at Comic Con in a month or so.
    I keep forgetting that FAO jumped the gun and nothing confirmed on the Shuttle yet. This is one of the only exclusives I have an active interest in buying, the main reason I am so angry at the rumored circumstances of it's release. The other exclusive I really wanted was the 12" Biker Scout with Speeder Bike, which I had to pay $135 for from BT's, since I was stationed overseas when it was released. However, money isn't so easy to come by nowadays for me so $125 for the Shuttle is too much, especially considering the mark-up it will see at many online stores.

As for all the other exclusives, I have taken a sort of "I'll buy them if I see them" approach. I love not being a completist collector.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I will have to go with no. To me all this does is makes it harder for us who don't have the time to go out to the stores when the exclusive comes out. Yes I do think it gives the scalper a better chance to clean the racks off and then sell them at a higher price. Most of us who are collecters don't have the money to buy up everything at once and with exclusives the number is limited and when the money is there to buy the product isn't.
    "I have a bad feeling about this".

"Just when I remembered what it was,I forgot where I put it."

Originally posted by bigbarada

I keep forgetting that FAO jumped the gun and nothing confirmed on the Shuttle yet. This is one of the only exclusives I have an active interest in buying, the main reason I am so angry at the rumored circumstances of it's release. The other exclusive I really wanted was the 12" Biker Scout with Speeder Bike, which I had to pay $135 for from BT's, since I was stationed overseas when it was released. However, money isn't so easy to come by nowadays for me so $125 for the Shuttle is too much, especially considering the mark-up it will see at many online stores.

As for all the other exclusives, I have taken a sort of "I'll buy them if I see them" approach. I love not being a completist collector.
    BigBarada: you misunderstood.

At Celebration 2 Hasbro would not confirm the shuttle was an FAO Exclusive. Now it has officially been announced as so.

Note, I already pre-ordered mine (It came to like $150 w/ s & h)
    from calling FAO's 1-800 number (I got it out of Thrawn's FAQ's from about 1-2 weeks ago).

So it is official, there are 5,000 pieces, and I assume they'll cancel their pre-order once they have 5,000 orders and those will be the only people that get shuttles unless they decide to produce more.

I don't know if the 5,000 pieces number is correct. You'd think it would be more? But anyway, the ship (which I have a vintage of) would really only be worth about $75 if priced fairly, you'd think.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.