EP2 Sneak Preview figure price

Is anyone else scratching their head at the listed price for these figures? According to the Diamond comics news item these things have an estimated retail price of $8.99. My question is , "What the freak for?"

What is it about these figures that makes the price so high? Are they on special blister packaging that costs more? Do they come with some kind of special feature, like a CT chip? Is Hasbro just testing the waters to see how much they can get us to pay for figures? Or is this just an inaccuracy?

I already have a difficult time swallowing the $6+ price tag for the current crop of figures, let alone $10 for deluxe ones just because they come with an extra large accessory. I can't imagine why, if the price is really accurate, they would cost so much more unless Hasbro thinks that they'll be such a hot item that that's what collectors would pay.

Opinions anyone?
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

Thumbs down

If they come with an accessory like the Stap from EPI, then that would explain it, but if its just a rise the price cuzz they are going to buy it, then that sucks. I really hope that Diamond comics are mistaken in the price information and that the figures remain at $6.00
    As always...........L

I wouldn't worry. Diamond's probably posting the estimated retail price for comic shops, not everywhere else. I think the last time I picked up an issue of Previews, all the figures were at "estimated retail values" of at least $2-3 more than Target sold them for.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Please read the lastest news here on this:

http://www.figures.com/databases/act...show_article=8
    "SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

Apparently, collectstarwars, who we all know have a link straight to god and all authorities on star wars, have recieved word from hasbro that there will be no december preview figures and that Diamond is talking out of their gonking gonk!
    I knew CSW were jumping the gun. I said so elsewhere in a thread relating to this. I think I mentioned egg and faces too. Truth be told, whose face has the egg? Diamond most likely. they aren't exactly the most informed company when it comes down to hard facts. I know that Diamond UK are the most unreliable when it comes to upcoming stuff. They're fine if they have the stuff in stock right there and then but if it's upcoming.... forget it.

Please read our news. We had this posted before anyone.

http://www.figures.com/databases/act...show_article=8
    "SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

Yeah, saw that before I posted. I just couldn't resist having a go at sites who think they know it all as fact and post news as such. Patience is a great skill to learn and perhaps these other sites should learn it before giving in to over-enthusiasm.
    I only regurgitated the news in these forums because it amused me. I can think of at least seven occasions when Hasbro had said there will be no preview figures until 2002. Seems some memories are incredibly short. It would've been cool if Hasbro had played it sneaky and released some preview figures this year but that would probably have meant some figures like the innacurate R2 with booster rockets we got from ep1. Lucas is still tinkering with the film in the editing so any character could change given that so many are CGI. Hasbro won't want to lose money by producing figures of characters who end up on the cutting room floor so to speak.

Originally posted by El Chuxter
    I wouldn't worry. Diamond's probably posting the estimated retail price for comic shops, not everywhere else. I think the last time I picked up an issue of Previews, all the figures were at "estimated retail values" of at least $2-3 more than Target sold them for.
    El Chuxter is correct about Diamond list prices on items like action figures. Though the exact nature of the "infamous six" was incorrect, had the ad been for FX-7, Zutton, and friends, the price would have been the same. The reason? Diamond produces two versions of their monthly catalog, "Previews", one for consumers (the one your comic shop sells) and one for retailers. Each version even has a companion price list booklet (or there used to be one for the consumer version).
    For years Diamond held up a policy of replacing the net cost shown in the retailer version with the symbol "PI" (for "please inquire"). This would allow those retailers that chose to carry such items to set thier own price (these were items with no cover price like comics and no suggested retail). Bear in mind that, at least up until a few years ago, when your average comic shop bought toys and figures from Diamond, the store's cost per figure in an assortment, for example, was about the same as the average retail price at Target or Wal-Mart. Hence the higher price asked at comic shops. Things may have changed now that Diamond is a much bigger buyer in the toy world (they used to be very minor players in that industry, now they command exclusives and special pricing). The fact that there is a suggested retail per figure listed in Diamond publications today is the result of requests from (presumably) the majority of retailers who's customer's found the old "PI" too confusing. Diamond established a "standard mark-up" of X% (I forget the exact figure, possibly as high as 1.5%) based on the actual retailer cost, divided that by the number of figures in a case to give the per-figure cost. This would allow retailers a bench mark and allow them to go below the "list price" if they felt they still had a good margin.
    There is the rough history of Diamond and the catalog price policies based on my knowledge of their procedures prior to the ghastly days when Marvel Comics nearly destroyed the comic industry. Perhaps one day I will spin that sad tale in the General threads.
    "Does the name "Dingo" mean anything to you?" - Jedi Boulton to DingoDad at the October Dallas ComiCon.

I wanted to get back to this thread since we've all seen the new packaging. Regardless of what our feeling are about the card, will these things still sell for the $6.50-$7 general price? Diamond comics had earlier said something about $8.99, but I find that really hard to swallow.

If the OB1 package is going to be the norm for all figures I think we'll see the same pricing. Hasbro hasn't shown that it would lower it's prices for removing or altering the pack-ins at all.

Remember when the POTJ line came out? Hasbro said they would lower the price due to the Force file being cheaper to make than the CTCs. However see didn't see any price drop until W-M did it months later. Now we've seen a $0.50-1 increase from them.

My prediction is that we'll have about the same price. Most likely about 25 cents more because in Hasbro's mind the full-card bubble will have to cost more (more plastic, less figures per case because they take up more room).
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas