Hybrid View

Question How much would you pay for a foil or rare TCG card.

I just got into collecting and playing the TCG game but am really frustrated at how hard it is coming into these rare cards. I went on ebay yesterday and got 14 foil and rare cards total for about $15.

How much would you pay to buy a card on ebay or in a comic/specialty shop? Would you only resort to this if you had a few yet to collect and didn't want anymore commons?
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

Heck, I'd pay a buck per card if they were rare.

I don't play the games, but I snagged some packs here and there . . . the foil cards are the neatest, IMO, so I would definately prefer to "overpay" a bit on average to get the ones I really want. Some of those cards are . . . ugh . . . so the thought of not pulling them over and over from the packs is an enticing thought.

The only card I'm still looking for is the rare Yoda. I'd probably pay as much as $5 for the regular card and maybe a little more for the foil if I could just find one. I don't really want to go through e-bay. Every time I find one, someone bids so high that it seems like a joke. It was > $15 last time I checked.
    Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
    ~SK

I've seen them go at times for around $5, but I hope I can get one for less than $3 since most places want $1 or so for shipping. I've bought several rares so far, but then I've found them in the booster packs.

In one shot from a ebay seller I got R2(A), Jar Jar(A), and Queen Jamilia (A). Before they arrived I found all three in three straight boosters, but at least I only paid $1 for each and the Jar Jar and QJ that I found were foils.

I've managed to get Ani (A&B), DT(B), Sidious (A), Palp(A), and a few other toughies buy dumb luck but most good rare character cards I've had to bite the bullet. I think I'm down to just OB1(A), Padme(A), and Yoda(A) for rare character cards at this point. The only ones being sold on ebay right now are $6 min. bid. OUCH! With my luck I'll buy it and then find it again a week later.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

I finally finished the SOTE set after, what's it been, 15 years now? It was the chase etched foil Fett card #82 that was holding me up. I passed on several auctions over $15+ over the years, and found one a few weeks back for $4 (from Australia; thanks, mate! ). : patiencepaysoff:
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(