Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Are the stores starting to thin the figs?

I read a statment in another link about a collector being happy when the kids loose interest and the stores start to get a wider selection. Interesting thought, is this common with most areas?

I'm just wondering if anyone else is thinking this way, or if this happens at your store, or if your area is like mine.

Locally here in MN, or over the last few years since EP I, the stores have cut back on the displays and stocking, and even in some cases, the toys have disapeared from the shelves. We all have stories about the TC-14, Mr. Bo, and others...

A few months back, maybe even half a year or more before EP II the local WM's, some local Targets, and the Mall of America FAO, didn't even have a carded figure on the pegs. The only time you would see a figure would be when, and if, they got an exclusive piece in. Even then it was just the exclusive that was on the shelf.

I had to buy from comic shops who ordered from Diamond, had to buy some cases from EE just to get figures. It got so bad around there, that one local scalper that hangs out at the comic shops I go to had to order figs from dealers/scalpers in chicago and NY, just so he'd have the new stuff to sell.

I was just wondering if this was happening in other places, and if anyone forsees this happening to them, or in their area in a few months once the movie leaves the theater.

I'm already seeing the large displays start to go in places, and the pegs are shrinking around here. There's not a lot of new stock going up to fill in the holes either. The newest stuff I've found has been from the Target HQ in Minneapolis. I haven't found anything in the burbs since April. Anyone else running into this or seeing something similar?

Thoughts or observations on this?
    Last edited by Vortex; 06-05-2002 at 12:10 PM.

Scalpers buying from scalpers, that's not mean, that's justice! Let them get screwed by their own over-priced medicine.

I'm sure since the movie has been out for about half a month and kids have been getting what they wanted to get and the hype is down then that's why. I haven't seen anything like that though, my Wal-Mart has a huge aisle devoted to just SW figures, and K-Mart has the same only it's a little smaller, another Wal-Mart though has a side-aisle piece, a mid-path shelving and 8-10 pegs in the toy aisle for the figures. So it varies from store to store.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

The same thg happened to us here in the great white north.

Most of our local stores simply stopped carrying anything and we didn't see anything new for months.

Some store were still selling off their EP1 stock, some had scads of POTJ pegwarmers.

The TRU near my house is still drowning in Bespin Guards and Ketwols.

I dread the day that I have to pay comic store prices again.

It does make me wonder what things will be like after EP3 is out and the movies are done...
    [font=verdana]Madness take its toll. Please have exact change[/font]
    [font=verdana]Life's short and hard like a bodybuilding elf... - Blood Hound Gang [/font]
    I'm a trendy tote bag!

i remember my wal-mart kind of giving up on the Figs and not put them out, but the toy's r us still had them.
    Duct Tape...the Force it is like. Both a light side and a dark side it has. Binds the universe together it does!

So when the new figs don't show, do you go or look in other places besides e*bay, or the sponsor sites?

I mostly check out the local comic shops that carry the figures, which in this area amounts to about 2.
    [font=verdana]Life's short and hard like a bodybuilding elf... - Blood Hound Gang [/font]
    I'm a trendy tote bag!

Yea, the comic shops aren't cheap either. I know that about a 1/4 of the figs hanging on the pegs are bought from store employees, or the scalpers that frequent the shop.

At least the shop owners subtly tell us which ones are scapled by putting a differnt color price sticker on it and if its the only one that's on the check out desk, or hanging on the pegs, they usually tell the regulars to "wait for a couple days" until they get their shipment.

So how much do they charge you up there, eh? Down here they want anywhere from 8 to 12. Red are 4-8, Greens are 7, Ep I are still 9, and the few Ep II they have are 8-12 depending if they are new of not. They have a huge case of the so called variants and erros, but they want 15% over what Lee's quotes for average. They also have a mess of vintage stuff too, At-At w/box, Falcon w/box, an old prototype inteceptor, and some other stuff, and a lot RTOJ carded figs, but they want way too much for it, and most of it has seen a better day.

Originally posted by tjovonovich
    So how much do they charge you up there, eh? Down here they want anywhere from 8 to 12. Red are 4-8, Greens are 7, Ep I are still 9, and the few Ep II they have are 8-12 depending if they are new of not. They have a huge case of the so called variants and erros, but they want 15% over what Lee's quotes for average.
    Actually the one store I frequent is actually pretty reasonably priced, again ranges from $8-$12.
    Some of the older figs meaning the stuff from 1995 can be a little expensive but all in all their pretty good.

The other store called the Silver Snail generally trise to get at least $15 for everything, even EP1 pegwarmers. I try not to go there if I don't have to.
    I'm a trendy tote bag!

wow, 15 for Ep I junk. They must have a mess of them hanging there.

Yup if anybody wants to pay $15 CDN for a EP1 Tatooine Anakin go to the Silver Snail comic shop in Ottawa, Canada.

This place also has a Y-wing and B-wing for the low, low price of $139 each.

What a bargain!
    I'm a trendy tote bag!