Hybrid View

Vintage Vader variation identity help please

Hello all,

I am really stumped on this one!

I have had, sitting on my shelf for years, two vintage vader figures. They are both complete and in very good shape.

I was looking at them the other day and noticed a huge differance between the two!

#1 one is taller then the other! Only by a hair but enough to be noticeable.

#2 Thier feet are differant. The taller one has more of a slender, point to them while the shorter is rounder.

#3 The taller vader's vader has a thicker point on his saber and is just a shade darker then the shorter ones. The shorter one has the usual hair thin saber point and the lighter red that Im used to seeing.

#4 The shorter vaders head has what Id describe as "rounded" facial features. The tusks are virtually non existant and the cuts "details" are not as sharp as the taller one.

#5 On the back of thier legs, One has G.M.F.G.I. 1977 HONG KONG. While the other is marked G.M.F.G.I. 1977 but it does not have the Hong Kong mark

Does anyone have any answers for me? I would really appreciate it!

Thanks on advance.

Dave
    Dave (Big Kid) Lepage

During the run of ROTJ, many Vader figures were produced in Mexico instead of Hong Kong. So you probably have one made in Hong Kong (obviously) and one made in Mexico. I don't know why Kenner did this, or if any other ROTJ figures were also produced in Mexico. It's just another one of the wierd things that happened in the vintage days.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Question

I was thinking maybe it could've been that 1995 Toys R Us figure from the 4-pack. Didn't those ones still have 1977 copyright stamps on them? But bb is probably right.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

No the TRU 4-pack had new 1995 date stamps on the bottom of their feet like all the new figures do.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis