Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dagobah X-Wing: Is there any better AF display piece?

Okay, some may claim the Zaap "pewter" ships display better out of the box. I'll almost certainly never know, since I'll almost certainly never be able to afford another one for an opener.

Some may claim the Defender is better/as good an opened display SWAF. That's a tough call. They're such VERY different ships, I prefer to think they compliment each other rather than have to rank them.

I haven't opened my Falcons, and I'm working on scoring a cheap one for an opener. That's one of the others I think will display really well. I'd like to hear what AF ships others think are outstanding when displayed out of their box.

As fo non-SW Action Fleet, the Aliens series also look like they'd display spectacularly as openers.

But back to the main subject....

I received my 2nd Dagobah X-Wing today. This one ordered specifically to display out of the box. I am thrilled with it. In addition to the "swampy" paint effects, they also added some gray and puke-color (sorry, I thought for a long time, and that's the only description I could think of for the color) patches on the ship that beautifully pop out some of the textured areas that simply do not show up on the standard, minimally-painted versions.

As everyone probably knows, you can still score these on eBay for under $10 + shipping pretty regularly. I paid $9.49 + $5 shipping. In my opinion, for what little that's worth, I think this is hands-down the best value-for-the-dollar aftermarket AF collectible. If you have only one of them, and you're reluctant to open it, to retain its value as a collectible, then I urge you to get your butt on to eBay and snag an opener. If you're disappointed after seeing it, I'll buy it from you myself (provided you got one for about what I paid).
    Last edited by SWAFMAN; 06-08-2002 at 06:09 PM.
    {{{r2dee2}}}
    {{{VT}}}

SWAF,

I bought mine for $10 at a flea market late last summer and although I primarily am a carded collector, I couldn't resist the temptation to very carefully open the box and take out the ship to display. As you said the mucky swamp colors of Dagobah is transferred beautifully to the ship. It is much better than the mundane looking regular AF X-wing. It is a wonder why I didn't order this ship from Toyfare when it first came out. I can even slip it back into the box and it looks like I've never opened it.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

I am in total agreement with you both. Another great unknown is the damaged X wing from the Yavin Playset. Although, from the three that I have only one has great detailed effects, with laser scoring and weathered panels, with the damaged wing and cockpit is a nice effect.

Thumbs up Best Action Fleet

In my opinioin one of the best AF display pieces is the Trade Federation Droid Fighter.
    I think the designer of the wings/legs of the DF is a genius!
    The first time I got the DF in my hands I was so impressed by the technical solutions AF designers used to solve the problem of the conversion between flying and walking mode. And it was not just a simple conversion, they were able to make the walking DF fully poseable and you can move it exactly like in the movie! Amazing! (the only difference is the paint job, darker than in the film, but actually I like it more! )

I like also the Dagobah X-Wing and I am currently planning to create a small diorama with my X-Wing partially sunk in a swamp, even if I still have to find a way of creating the "water" (using maybe a resin) of the swamp in such a way I can take out the X-Wing without damaging it (I would not want to enclose it forever in the diorama).

Ciao,
    JediGoofy

The Dagobah X-Wing is a thing of beauty. My favorite AFs are definitely the TF Tank and the Alpha Infiltrator just on the merits of gorgeous design. They may not be the coolest AFs as far as features go but I could just stare at these beautiful vehicles all day.

They definitely did a great job on the TF Droid Fighter but I've always wondered why those vehicles would need to walk. What's up with that? I just don't get it...

Originally, they didn't have that capability. Only after the ships were turned into droids themselves rather than ships FOR droids, did Lucas and Doug Chiang decide it should have legs.

Personally, I think the Dagobah X-wing is nice, but it lacks underneath detail. I think AF as good for display as this X-wing (or better) are the Royal Starship, Series Alpha Naboo Fighter set, Virago, and TIE Defender.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

well, I only have an opener of one of the others you mention, so far, JT - the defender. I agree it emotes a very menacing feel on display. I love it.

I'm working hard to get all the AFs as open displays, but it will be a long time before I get all the EP1 alphas as openers.
    {{{r2dee2}}}
    {{{VT}}}

SWAFMAN,

Heres my favorite picks for Star Wars at #1.tie defender 2.virago 3.series alpha naboo fighter,4.royal starship.

I also enjoy the AF podracers,Its just to bad hasblo didn't make all 18 of them like they were supposed to!
    Last edited by SID; 06-16-2002 at 10:46 PM.
    "This is Space Intruder Detector"

I got my dagobah X-Wing at a comic book show in MIchigan two years ago. The guy had a $7 price tag. I just couldn't resist. I really like it, and I wish they'do al ot more with the AF line

-Dan
    People who whine about scalpers need to GET A LIFE.